Second Chances (A Beauty and the Beast Story)

Part One:
Standing on top of the roof of a skyscraper, I close my eyes to inhale as many of the scents of New York City that I can. New York City is my home and I always will be, but I had to face the fact that I had nothing left here for me. The only person who I could come into contact with was Vincent and J.T, but since Catherine came into the picture, that has changed.

Vincent and I were 'together' together while we were in Afghanistan and I'd like to think that we were in with one another. We both volunteered for the experiments and when Muirfield saw that it was out of hand, they killed everyone. For the longest time, I thought that I was that was the only one left from our unit, so I made looking over my shoulder for Muirfield second nature. Then one month, I decided to go to New York; and on my evening jog, I saw Vincent.

That say was the most happiest day in a long time. Once we saw each other, if finally felt like we were back in Afghanistan and before Muirfield was even in the picture. Things were great, until Catherine became apart of his life. After that happened, everything wasn't the same, it couldn't be.

Then Alex, his fiance, came back into the picture and that made things impossible for us. There was no way that I was going to stand a chance against his fiance.

It took him too long that it was me he wanted to be with. He hurt me more times than anyone in my life, so I left New York City, my home. After five years, I am finally back for my father's funeral. Though I couldn't actually attend the funeral, because my family could identify me, and I don't want them to be in jeopardy of Muirfield.

Snapping myself out of my thoughts, I jump off of the rooftop and land in an alleyway before I start running towards an abandoned warehouse.

**

Tears stream down my face as I listen on my mother giving her speech about Dad.

"When my daughter died in Afghanistan, it was the worst day of our lives. She was our only baby, and we were so used to having her around that is was such a detrimental thing to us. Though, Thorpe died of a stroke, the guilt of allowing our daughter to join the Army was the thing that killed him. And when I go, that will be what kills me too..." she trails off.

Unable to take anymore of her words, I run away from the funeral and into a random alleyway. Screaming at the top of my lungs, I punch the wall and the bricks crumble to pieces under my fist. I move to pick up the dumpster and just when I have it completely off of the ground, I hear Vincent say:

"Y/N?"

My eyes shift from my beast side to my human side and I throw the dumpster to the ground with a grunt. A growl escapes my lips and I move to run away when I feel Vincent grab my hand.

I roar at him and pull away my hand forcefully. I push into the wall so hard that his body made a dent into it.

"Y/N, calm down okay. Tell me what's going on? How are you still alive? How did you escape Muirfield?" He asks.

"You know how I escaped, Vincent. Don't play dumb." I snark.

"No, I don't! I-i thought you were dead." He says.

"Stop lying!" I yell at him.

He pushes me into the wall and pins me down by the arms. I roar at him once again and he roars at me twice as loud, sending chills down my spine. I slowly shift back to my human side and he does the same.

"I swear, I don't remember you escaping Muirfield, OK?"

"I remember is that one night in the barracks," he adds with a sigh.

The night he was referring to was the first time that he told me that he loved me and he wanted to build a life with me after our tour was over. You were actually planning for our life together. It was one of the best nights of my life, and judging by the twinkle in his eyes as he recalls it, it was the best night of his life too.

"That was the last night you remember?" I ask.

"Yes," He says.

"Vincent, that was almost seven years ago." I state.

"Were you.. brainwashed?" I add.

He bows his head as his jaw clenches with shame.

"Vince.." I warn.

"I c—I can't tell you." He states.

"You don't trust me.. why am I still surprised? This whole amnesia thing is a bluff, some ploy to get me back into your life. Well you know what Vincent, I walked out of your life for a reason. To get away from your drama with Catherine." I snap.

"I have to get out of here," I add, pushing him away from me.

"Wait, Y/N, please. I'll tell you, just please.. don't leave me." He says.

"We may have had chemistry back then, but that's all changed now. We're different people now." I say.

"But that doesn't mean that our love for each other has changed. Chemistry doesn't just go away. I love you, okay? I know, deep down that you still love me too." He says.

"Not anymore," I say.

"That's a lie,"

"No, it's really not."

"Then help me understand, help me understand what I did to make you hate me so much." He states.

"You chose everyone over me, Vincent. First you chose Catherine over me, and then you chose Alex over Catherine. You were.. confused as to what you wanted and it ended up costing you your best friend. That is why I hate you. I hate you because I'm done being your second or third choice. Either I'm the first in your life, or I'm not in your life at all. I wasn't your first, so I left you and didn't come back until—"

"Until now," he finishes.

"Y/N, I'm.. I'm sorry."

"Do you remember now?" I ask.

"Vaguely,"

"Good, then me walking away should feel familiar to you," I say, spinning on my heel and walking back into the crowd.

Vincent calls after me, but I still continued to walk away.