Drag Racing

I was playing Assassin Creed on my PS4 when I got a call from Rob Ghoulies. I mentally groan and press pause on my game.

"May I help you?" I ask with sass.

"We need you to race una bendejo aque." Rob says.

"What do you mean? Why?" I ask.

"Okay. So you know the JJ deal we have with the Serpents?"

I hum in agreement.

"Well, the leader of the Serpents was thrown in jail a couple months ago. And his son is trying to jeopardize the JJ deal. He wants to kick us out of our territory." He states.

"Over our dead bodies." I say.

"Exactly. And he challenges us to a drag race tomorrow."

"What's at stake?"

"Our territory and our JJ."

"I don't care about the JJ, it's our territory I'm worried about." I say.

"Watch your mouth, sweetie. If the wrong person hears you say that, you're gonna get gutted."

"I can take care of myself, Rob."

"Ok, bottom line. Can you win this for us? You're the best drag racer out of all of us." He clarifies.

"I'll think about it." I finalize.

Before he could object, I end the call. I huff and punch the bridge of my nose. Sometimes I wonder why I decided to join the Ghoulies. I clear my mind, take a deep breathe and resume my game of Assassin's Creed.

** The Next Day

I drive Dodge Charger Daytona down the abandoned back road we always have our drag races on. Heads turn as I creep to a stop just before the collection of cars. There were some Northsiders here, that's interesting.

I guess the only way we catch attention here at the Southside is by our crime rate and drag races, good to know. I turn off my car and step out onto the road.

As soon as I do that, whistles and cheers erupted from my fellow ghoulies. I close the door and walk over to where Rob was.

"Oh Jug, you're going down." One Serpent says.

"She's the best drag race in the state." Another person says.

"She's won every single race she's been in."

More and more whispers erupted as I walk over to Rob. I smile as I approach him and we hit each other chest before sliding and locking our hands with the opposite hand. This was basically the Ghoul handshake that Rob and I mastered.

"You ready to bring us the prize?" He asks.

I nod and he chuckles as he shakes my shoulder like a proud father would do his son. He walks over to the new leader of the Serpents and started talking to them. I scan around the sea of people to see if any of them are interesting enough for me to talk to. My eyes meet the chocolate brown eyes of Sweet Pea.

The last I saw Sweet Pea was two weeks ago, when the Mayor raided Southside High. They slammed him against the locker and cuffed him. Not even caring about the physical damage they can be doing. I run towards him and I ended up being slammed into a locker as well. We were threw in the same cop car but separated when it came to the pat down. When the Ghoulies bailed me out, I went to the Serpents den and gave them money for his bail.

I stood there with my arms crossed until a smooth, deep voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

"You didn't tell me you were racing."