Jealousy (3/6) [A Haven Story]

"Hey baby," I greet as I walk over to him.

I move to link my arms behind his head, but he holds onto my arms before I could do so. He slowly returns my arms back at my sides and I ask:

"What's wrong? Did everything go okay with Jennifer?"

"Oh everything went fine. She said that you went with Duke.. is there something you want to tell me?" Dwight asks.

"Is there something you're insinuating?" I ask.

"Did you sleep with Duke?" He asks with a sigh.

I started to laugh but stopped when I saw his serious face.

"Oh my God, you're serious?" I say with disbelief.

"Jennifer tells me that you sent her and that you went somewhere with Duke. It was almost as if you wanted me distracted from the fact that you were with Duke. And then, to add to you case, you don't come back until sundown. So what else did you expect me to think?" He explains.

"Gee, I don't know. Maybe something along the lines of 'oh, Y/N has been with Duke for a long time. I should call her and make sure that she's alright'. Not 'I should wait for her to for her to come home and accuse her of cheating." I snap.

"God, sometimes I wonder what is going through your mind, Dwight. What would you think that I would cheat on you with Duke?" I add.

"Is- is that really a question? You're actually asking me that question right now? You were in love with the guy the second you stepped foot into Haven! Then you met me. But you met him first, and you bonded with him emotionally. He changed himself for you and you showed your true identity for him. So forgive me if I'm not kosher about the fact that you spent the whole day together." He argues.

"Did you really think that I would cheat on you? That I'm some woman you spreads her legs for any guy who calls her pretty? That I don't know any regards to the word loyalty?" I ask with hurt.

He sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose.

"N-no, that's not what I.. I'm sorry." He says.

"You could've at least gave me the benefit of the doubt here, Dwight. Maybe think that instead of taking care of my sexual needs, I was actually persuading Duke to stay in Haven, after wanting to go away when something traumatizing happened to him. He was vulnerable and angry and needed a friend. And I'm not one to just turn my back on someone when they need help. When they need the benefit of the doubt. And unlike you, he respects your role in my life. My boyfriend whom I love very much. The least you can do is respect his role in my life as my best friend." I say.

"You know what, I don't have time for this. Duke is waiting for me." I add.

I walk into our room and packed about a week of clothes into a duffel bag. I packed shoes, my tooth brush and hair products.

Dwight walks into the room and looks from my duffel bag to me.

"Don't worry, I'm not leaving you permanently. I promised Duke that I would be there for him. And he needs me now more than ever.." I say as I zip up my duffel bag.

I swing it over my shoulder and add:

"But don't worry, when I come back, I'll be more than happy to give a pregnancy test. If it's negative- which it will be-you owe me one hell of an apology,"

"Y/N," He says.

I blow him off and walk out the door. The second I close the door, I hear the sound of a door breaking and glass shattering. I stop in my tracks and as I close my eyes, a tear slipped down my cheek.

I hop in the car and drive to Duke's. When I turn off the car, I stay there to contain myself. I try to control my breathing as I wipe away my tears. I have a white knuckle grip on the steering wheel and I look up to see a boat starting to lift into the air.

I inhale sharply and the boat fell back to the water, sending shock wave into the bay.

Once I feel in control, I grab my duffel bag and get out of the car. I lock the doors as I advance toward Duke's boat.

I walk into the boat and saw Duke sitting on one of his high stools with an empty glass in his hands and a full bottle of scotch next to him.

"Waiting for me, huh?" I say.

He snaps out of his gaze and asks:

"Are you okay? Why does it sound like you've been crying?"

"I haven't been, I'm okay." I lie.

"You know you can't lie to me, Y/N/N." He says, standing from the stool.

"It's nothing, Dwight- I mean, Duke. Sorry." I stumble.

"So it's about Dwight?" He asks.

I shake my head and set my duffel bag on the floor. I sit on the couch and run my fingers through his hair.

I feel the couch sink next to me and he says:

"Hey.. look at me."

I slowly comply and he adds:

"This works both ways. You can tell me anything."

"No, today is about you. Not me. I see that you didn't drink that whole bottle of scotch. Good for you, I think I might though." I say.

"Don't change the subject." He says.

"What happen between you and Dwight?" He asks.

"He.. thought that I slept with you. He thought that was what I was doing with you the whole day." I croak.

"Well I mean, you have the stamina." He says playfully.

"I know I do," I say, playing along with him.

"I just can't believe that he would accuse me of such a thing. If only he knew just how much I loved him." I add.

"Well does he know?"

"Yes! But there are just something's that I can't even put into words. It's like, ever since you came back, he has been possessive over everything. And it's so annoying." I say.

"But I still love him," I add.

"I think he'll come to his senses; he's a smart Sasquatch." Duke says.

I sigh as I lean back into the couch.

"What have we gotten ourselves into, Duke?" I ask.

"I have no idea.." he says, mimicking my actions.