Tutoring Session (1/6) [An All American Story]

Spencer leans against the locker next to mine and waits for me as I grab my materials.

"I don't have any practice tonight, you wanna go to the movies or something?" He asked.

"I have a tutor interest meeting after school that I was invited to, but I'm sure that Olivia would want to go with you." I say.

"Noe, when was the last time you and I hung out together? You're my sister and we barely see each other outside of school." He says.

I close my locker and hug my stuff to my chest. I sigh in defeat and say:

"You're right. I'm sorry... how about we do laser tag? It's been a while since we did that, right?"

"Yes, I'm all up for that." He says with a smile.

I nudge him as walk by and say with a smile:

"See you later, punk."

**

I stand in the guidance counselor's room and she finally walks in.

"Hello Y/N!" She states cheerfully.

"Hey," I say unenthusiastically.

"So as a school, we are in need of dedicated, well-rounded students to be in tutor positions. The tutors now aren't being as effective as we wanted them to be. I went around and asked the teachers what student they would recommend as a tutor and you name has come up multiple times. I just wanted to let you know what kind of student your teachers think of you as." She states.

"Well, I'm honored." I say.

"Great! So this is what happens, tutoring sessions are one-on-one and they take place on Monday, Wednesday and Friday in the library. There are a total of twenty tutorees and since there are twenty tours, include the new group, everyone adds up." She adds.

"You ready to meet your tutoree?" She asks me.

"Sure," I say.

"Remember, they are a high school student just like you. There shouldn't be anything different that how you explain something to a friend." She says as we walk to the library.

"Okay," I say.

We both walk into the library and she walks me to the table of someone whom I know too well for my liking: Asher.

"Y/N, this is your tutoree Asher. Asher, this is your tutor Y/N." The guidance counselor says.

Asher and I merely stare at each other and the guidance counselor clears her throat before saying:

"Well then, I'll let you guys get to it."

Then she leaves Asher and I alone at the table of the library.

"You have got to be kidding me." I say with disbelief.

"Believe me, I don't want to be here either." He says gently.

"Out of all the tutorees..." I trail off.

"Why are you even in this program, anyway? Aren't you some kind of genius?" I ask.

He chuckles and says:

"Just because I'm in Honors and AP classes, it doesn't mean I understand everything all the time."