you whimper in your sleep (requested)

Selena's eyes slowly fluttered open, but she was confused as to why. When they first opened, the room was still dark and quiet. She didn't think much of it, at first, and simply rolled over to get back to sleep.

But just as her eyes closed again you let out a whimper from beside her. Her eyes flew open at the sound. She quickly scooted closer to you, thinking you were just uncomfortable or cold and her embrace would bring you some comfort.

But you trembled in her arms and whimper after whimper fell from your lips. She rubbed your arms soothingly and whispered your name softly in your ear. She hoped it would help you to wake up comfortably, that you'd feel calmer when your eyes opened and the whimpers would stop.

But your eyes flew open suddenly and you sat up quicker than ever before. Selena turned the lamp on so she could see your face and what she saw made her heart drop.

Beads of sweat clung to your forehead, falling quickly. Your hands shook, your breathing was unsteady, and you looked terrified.

"Y/n?"

You jumped when her hand first fell to your back but you sorta relaxed at her touch. But it didn't do much to soothe your panicked state.

"I-I can't breathe." You mumbled and looked at her with sadness and fear in your eyes. Your forehead wrinkled with worry and your hands trembled as you reached for hers.

"It's okay, angel. It's gonna be alright. I'm right here." She spoke, taking your hand into one of hers while the other moved along your back comfortingly.

"I had a bad dream!"

"It was only a dream. Just a terrible dream."

You whimpered again, causing her heart to grow once again.

"Try to breathe for me, y/n. You're gonna be okay. I'm right here. It was only a bad dream."

You dropped your head to her chest, letting your ear rest against her heart. You tried to focus on the steady beat, letting the rhythm soothe you, like her voice in your ear, and the string of comforting words falling from her lips was doing.

"You're gonna be alright. You're safe. I've got you. You know I won't let anything happen to you." She assured, rubbing your back and kissing your head.

A few moments passed before you began to feel better. You clung to her as she gently laid you on your back. She propped her head on one elbow, using her free hand to draw circles on your stomach and your sides.

"Someone was chasing me and I couldn't get away and,"

"Shh," she hushed softly. "Only a bad dream, remember?"

You nodded, closing your eyes and focusing on the caress of her palm along your cheek.

"I've got you. You're safe and sound."

"You won't go anywhere?"

"Not ever." She promised then kissed your temple. "I love you. I'll be right here forever with you."

You started to fall back asleep, relaxed by her touch, and her soft kisses and knowing she'd still be right by your side when you woke up in only a few more hours.