your child throws a tantrum - family imagine (requested)

Rosie had been acting off with you all morning.

It all started soon after Selena left for the studio. You talked to Rosie about what you'd be doing today, asking if she'd like to do anything special while Selena was at work.

You put a bowl of her favorite cereal on the table in front of her only for her to throw it on the floor and fold her small arms over her chest.

"I don't want it!" You knew right at that moment that it was gonna be a long day.

You strolled through the grocery store. Rosie sat in the front of the cart, buckled in as you went through and picked up a few things you knew you needed for the house.

"Mommy? Can I have something?" Rosie asked, looking at you with her big brown eyes and a small pout on her lips. "I don't know, honey." You watched her eyes fill with tears. "Please?" You sighed and ran your fingers through her soft curls but she pushed your hand away. "Rosie, stop acting up."

And that's when things went haywire. The small girl started to cry and kick her feet against the cart. "I want something!" She yelled as people around you started to look your way. You groaned and leaned your head onto the cart feeling both embarrassed and a little upset with your daughter.

"Stop!" She didn't stop though. She started to kick her legs harder and scream louder. You decided to hold off and everything else and tried to hurry through the checkout as fast as you could. You even decided to abandon a few things at the counter to get out a little quicker.

You put the cart next to the car and unstrapped Rosie from it. You put her on your hip and put her inside her seat. She kept trying to kick you as you buckled her in. Her face was red and you knew she had to be hurting her throat from how much and how hard she was screaming.

You put the things in the trunk before getting in the car. You sent a text to Selena and told her how badly Rosie was misbehaving and how she's been throwing a tantrum for the past few minutes. She told you she had finished up for the day and would meet you at home.

"Rosie! Knock it off!" You yelled, taking your little girl by surprise. You've never raised your voice at her before but you were so tired of all the screaming and whining and kicking that you couldn't help it. She started to cry again, this time more out of surprise than anything else.

When you got home you grabbed her and the groceries from the car before stepping inside. She saw Selena at the counter and ran over to her, hugging her legs tightly as she started to cook some lunch.

Selena looked over at you and noticed how stressed you looked. She stopped what she was doing and bent down to pick up Rosie. She sat her on the counter gently and watched her rub her eyes. "Rosie, I heard you were a bad girl at the store today. Is that true? Did you throw a tantrum?" Rosie's bottom lip started to tremble as she reached her arms out to hold onto Selena.

It was clear that she was exhausted but she wasn't gonna get out of it that easy. "Rosie? Why were you misbehaving so much for mommy?" She sniffled and looked over at you. "I wanted something." She said quietly. It broke your heart to see her so upset. "Is that how we get stuff?" Rosie shook her head. "Okay. I want you to apologize to your mom."

Rosie shook her head, not ready to admit that she was sorry quite yet. "Alright. Do you wanna go in time out?" Her eyes went wide and she shook her head. "Then go give your mommy a hug and tell that you're sorry." Selena picked her up and put her down on her feet.

Rosie ran over to where you sat at the table. She hugged your knees at first until you picked her up and sat her on your lap. She looped her arms around your neck and started to sniffle. "I'm sorry mommy." A tear hit your neck. You rubbed her back and kissed her head. "It's okay. Are you sleepy sweetie?" She just nodded. You stood up and let her give Selena a hug before you took her upstairs to bed.

You put her down on her bed and covered her up with her favorite fluffy blanket. You ran your hand through her hair as she smiled up at you, all her little baby teeth showing as she did. She took your hand in her much smaller one and held it tightly. "Can you stay with me until I fall asleep?" You kissed her head and nodded.

You laid down next to her and rubbed her back. "No more tantrums, okay?" She let out a little giggle making your heart swell a bit. "Goodnight Rosie. I love you lots." You started to get up, thinking she was asleep.

You were almost to the door when you heard her voice again. "Love you more mommy." You smiled back at her and watched her start to sleep. "Sweet dreams, lovebug." You whispered and closed the door quietly behind you.