you're scared of the dark

"Are you falling asleep?" Selena chuckled as she tore her gaze away from the movie she had turned on for you both to watch so she could instead stare down at you.

Laying in her bed, in her arms with your head on her chest, you were so comfortable that it was starting to become difficult to stay awake any longer. You wanted more than anything to just fall asleep right there in her arms, but you knew that your time together for the night was quickly coming to an end and you had to go home soon.

You opened your eyes with the intention of simply admiring your girlfriend's beauty. But your eyes instead fell onto the clock on the wall. With wide eyes, you saw that it was after ten o'clock. You had to get home soon.

"Ugh." You groaned as you managed to wiggle out of her embrace. "I should get going soon."

Selena quickly shook her head and enveloped you back in her arms. She hummed as she held you close and tight to her. So happy at that moment, you couldn't help but feel your heart swell with love for her.

"No. You're not leaving me. You have to stay tonight." She mumbled.

Craning your neck to lock eyes with her, her lips brushed along your cheek ever so softly. "Please, angel."

"Let me think about it." You joked making Selena use her free hand to tickle your sides. "Okay! I'm kidding. I'd love to stay with you tonight, Sel. Besides, I'm way too tired to even think about driving home. I wanna stay here in your arms and in your cozy bed and just go to sleep."

Selena nodded in agreement. "Yeah, I'm pretty tired too. Wanna call it a night and do more tomorrow?"

"Yeah."

With a smile and a kiss on your lips, she was letting go of you to let you make yourself comfortable under the covers. It wasn't hard when her bed was so cozy that it almost felt like you were floating on a cloud.

"Good?" She asked as she turned off the light.

You weren't bothered at first. It wasn't dark since the movie was still playing. But when you noticed that Selena had grabbed the remote and her thumb was inching toward the power button, you began to panic.

"No!" You panicked and grabbed her wrist. The remote fell out of her hand and Selena sat there looking surprised, and a little worried. "Please don't turn it off."

"Baby-"

"If you turn it off I won't be able to sleep! I-I don't like the dark. I'm scared of it. Please keep it on, Sel."

She caressed your cheek. She was frowning and you didn't miss the sadness in her usually bright eyes. You tried to lower your head but she didn't allow you to look anywhere else but at her.

"I didn't know you were scared of the dark, baby girl." She said sadly. "Look, I'll keep it on for you. I won't turn it off. I promise." She grabbed the remote in her other hand and put it back on her nightstand before looking back at you.

"Breathe, baby. No need to be scared. I'm here and the tv will be on all night. I won't let it get dark in here."

You breathed out a shaky sigh of relief but nodded. She kissed your forehead softly, lips lingering on your skin for a moment before she laid back down next to you and pulled you into her arms.

She didn't have to say that it was all okay, because you knew that it was. You felt comfortable again; so comfortable there in her embrace with the light of the tv and the sound of her heart beating in your ear that you quickly drifted off to sleep.

And only then did Selena allow herself to do the same.