Chapter 49

Nicole's POV

I never thought I'd find myself doing this but I'm actually jogging.. and I'm not too bad considering I'm somewhat an alcoholic and a workaholic.

I ended up taking a detour to Olly's neighborhood out of curiosity as what Michael's been up to; nothing really. The lawn is covered in women's clothing and the markings from the explosion are still on the driveway. He got a new car... of the exact same model. He really did not change.

I maintained a steady pace until I hear yelling from two women. One of them is familiar- Olly.  My eyes averted to the dealerships direction and I see Olly and a woman that looks damn well nearly the same as her, just older, and their bickering.

"Why can't I keep them?!" Olly yelled. She's cradling something fuzzy and leans against a salmon colored vintage car. I haven't seen a car like that since my dad showed me pictures of mom's prom and he rented a baby blue thunderbird with all his saved tip money for the night.

"Olivia, you're a young lady. The piece of junk is not feminine and who the hell drives in a pink tin can?! Also, no animals in the goddam house!" The woman yelled. Her mom is a real pain and I've never even met her.

"Okay first of all, it's a 1957 thunderbird. This is beyond vintage. It's practically antique. Dad said if I fix grandpa's car, it's mine. And it's salmon! Okay? it's salmon! Since when does femininity apply to a damn car? As long as it starts and the breaks work, I'm fine. We're not washed up loaded in cash like you, where we can pick and choose whatever. this is the best we have. As far as I'm concerned, you have no say. The puppy stays. This isn't your place to call home," Olly warns.

I quickly stop to pretend I'm tying my shoe to understand what the hell is going on. I've seen Olly protective and angry even, but this was different. I'm not sure, but it's something.

"I am your mother. Like it or not, I'm here and your ass is going to my wedding," her mother pointed her finger.

"I'm not going to a wedding and watch you say your vows to a man who isn't dad! I wish you didn't comeback here. It's easier to love you with the little memories I had of you than it is to accept the fact that this is really you!" Olly's voice cracked with pain and dropped to her knees.

I could feel my eyes start to sting as I watch her sob. Just hearing something like that aches my heart. I now realize what I just witnessed in Olly: heartbreak. I didn't think this is what she was dealing with at home. She always seemed to be fond of her mother. She even wears her mother's beanie and treasures the replica of the skateboard her mom first gave her.

Her mom looks taken aback by the outburst but her stance remains the same.

A truck honks their horn politely and I avert my attention to the driver; Jim.

He gestures me over to come over as he pulls up and I took a big gulp. He's not ready.

"Hey I'm- what's going on?" Jim takes his cap off.

I adjust my ponytail and come up to the family. Olly's attention is more focused on the puppy cradled in her arms, it has an arm cast on its left front paw.

"I'm Olivia, who the hell are you?" Olly's mom gains my attention.

"Olivia, show some respect please. I'm sorry Ms. Waters," Jim sighed.

"No need, Jimmy," I rubbed his back and gave a smile. I'll address myself clear.

"I'm Nicole Waters, your daughter's principal. I just so happen to be jogging around the neighborhood. I'd warn you about common courtesy for the sake of your daughter'a comfort- I can her make her life a living hell, but considering where I stand, you've already provided that," I swayed my hips and crossed my arms as I took a look at Olly's facial expression. She's so cute.