Chapter 127

Nicole's POV

I wish Payton would roll over and die.

Literally.

She keeps boasting about how good her life is going and I just want to strangle the shit out of her. She knows I don't have any sort of romance or financial stability. It's just paycheck to paycheck with me and new work clothes.

"Oh, nicoleeeee," she comes over with her strawberry blonde hair. We're not even related, she's my fucking sister in law yet my dad wants to me to treat her like blood. She gets on my nerves as if she really is my sibling.

"What," I sit down on a stool at the kitchen counter.

"Soooooo," she pokes me at my sides and I instinctively slap her hand away.

"What," I said more irritated and she sighs grabbing a seat next to me.

"Did you get her back?" She pushes my patience.

"No," I said harshly.

"Did you even try?" She sets her drink down and continuously runs her mouth.

"Yes, I did. I tried very hard. I'm still trying. I'm making progress but I can't just get her back like that in the snap of a finger. She's a human being, not an object," i flustered.

My doorbell rings and I was relieved to have escaped my sister's wrath.

Tidying myself up before opening the door for whoever, I found myself spell bounded by Olly's appearance with- is that the little puppy that was once in the cast now?!

The large golden retriever jumps up on my lap pawing at my denim skirt and nestled his head into my thighs.

"Jiggy, manners!" Olly scolds him with an unprepared look on her face that this would be his reaction.

Gathering myself, I looked back down at the dog that's excited to see me and I ruffled behind his ears making him do that silly face whenever I'd try to make him smile.

"Olly, he's more than okay," I assured her and we both watched him go person by person in the apartment, stopping in front of them wagging his tail as he waits patiently for a good pet, and then he's on to the next. We laughed at how friendly he is and how easy it would be to just dog nap him.

"What do you have there?" I realized she didn't come empty handed.

"I brought champagne glass shaped short bread sugar cookies," she explained innocently and hands me a basket that was well presented.

"I wanted to bring deep fried Oreos, but you know... can't risk that for people who have cholesterol problems," and I ended up snickering at her arrogance.

"Thank you, you asshole. And I thought I told you dress casual," i eyed her carefully.

It's casual attire but in Olly's world it just might be dress casual, considering the ripped jeans and countless hoodies she wears.

"Okay, in my defense, it is. It's a Snow White wool knitted sweater that's loosely tucked behind the gold buckle of a black leather vintage belt. See? These jeans don't even have holes in them and my beige knee high stiletto boots match my hat," she expresses herself confidently.

Honestly, I applaud her for dressing this well. Not once did she mention that she had a bit of fashion guidance form Cindy.

"Okay, well put the beige cowboy hat on the hat rack and come get yourself comfortable," I scolded at her in a small whisper and she had the ignorance to play along.

"Fedora, it's a beige fedora," she corrects me.

I rolled my eyes at her and shook my head in annoyance. Olly didn't mind a bit as she laughs at my frustration and she runs her hand through her hair while putting her hat up.

"Oh my you're so beautiful!" My sister drops in.

"Thank you. I'm Olly, and that over there is probably the friendliest dog on the planet," she points out jiggy sitting happily with his tail wagging and his tongue hanging out as my nieces and nephews all shower him with hugs and kind gestures.

Payton giggles at Olly and shakes her hand, "Payton, Nicole's sister," she looks at Olly a certain way I can't describe.

"In law. Sister in law," i butted in and corrected her and she remains unbothered.

"Why don't you sit yourself down over there at the counter and I can fix you a drink?" Payton guides the highschool student past me.

"I don't drink," Olly nervously chuckles and I tried to contain my laugh that I've realized I never told my sister that Olly is a high school student. Tonight could go so many ways.

"Since Nicole here won't show proper hosting manners, I'll gladly tend to your comfort. There's so much I've heard about you and I just gotta see it for myself," there was a glimmer in Payton's eyes and it made my skin itch.

"Uhhh apple cider? I hear that's a great winter drink," Olly grows confused as to what exactly my sister knows.

"You have good taste in everything I see," Payton drags her along.

'What is going on?' Olly mouths at me trying to understand.

'I don't know' I mouth back and she shrugs helplessly.