Chapter 143

Matt's POV

That was some weird ass shit earlier. I mean, if Cindy was talking like that to me, it'd be a different story because she always talks like that to me.

"Hey, you good?" I run up to meet with Chiharu and we're making our ways to the gym.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" She smiles softly.

"Lunch was pretty..." i couldn't find the words to describe how bizarre and rude that was of Cindy.

"Wild," she summed it up perfectly.

"Yeah... I'm sorry she made it seem like you liked girls out in the open the way she did," I stuck my hand out to shake hers.

I was thrown off guard by her laughing and hesitated.

"Like??? I love them!" Her eyes lit up and even sparkled radiantly.

"NUH-UH!" I shoved her and she shoved me back playfully.

"Talk later?" Chiharu stopped in front of the girl's locker room and I gave her an encouraging hug.

"You got this, you're definitely badass enough to make the cuts," I promised. Chiharu laughed again and she's been throwing curve balls ever since we started this conversation.

"Listen, Matt. Honey... I don't want to be on the cheer team. And if I end up on it for some weird reason, I'm walking," she continued to laugh care free and my jaw drops wide open.

"But what about the other stuff you were saying at the lunch tables?!" I threw my hands in the air.

"Cindy had every right to react the way she did. In fact, it was her reactions that made me want to try out. I like getting under her skin. Something tells me she lives in a picture perfect world in that blonde head of hers," chirharu thinks for a moment and smiles brightly again.

"So you were coming onto her about liking girls and used the stupid captain and co captain pointer excuse just to teaseeeee?!?!?!" I remained dumbfounded.

"Don't tell Cindy I told you that," she looks at me with a warning glare but it was playful at the same time.

"I don't think she'd believe me anyway," I shrugged and Chiharu laughed.

<><><><><><><>

"I hope Cindy didn't scare Chiharu off," Mariana worried.

Dont get me wrong, Chiharu is definitely badass enough to be on the team.. but after the conversation earlier, I can see a lot clearer that mini skirts are not her thing.

Yeahhhh icy glares with bangs like hers don't mix with peppy ribbons, batons and mini skirts. I can't help but wonder what she's got planned if she doesn't intend on joining the team.

"Don't worry about her, Mariana, trust me; Chiharu can handle it," I looked back at her as we finished laying out all the mats and the tables for Cindy to judge.

It didn't take long before Cindy came strutting in with her pearl Chanel bag and pastel pink skirt and matching blazer to go with her white blouse.

"Okay co-captain, let's get this show on the road. Matt... good luck." Cindy shot me a glare and I knew that this was serious. All strings were detached when it came to making cuts.

Cindy doesn't give a fuck if you learned the routines forwards and backwards. Today, none of that matters. Either you impress her again or you're out.

"Line up bitches. While new candidates are getting ready in the locker rooms, I can conduct the cuts easily right here right now," Cindy flips her hair and Mariana hands her the clipboard before making her way over next to me.

"What are you doing?" Cindy turns her nose up at Mariana.

"I'm co-captain not the captain. I have to prove my worth just like the rest of the team," Mariana holds her head up high and I smiled at her. She so should've ran for prom Queen. But we get enough glory as it is for being on the varsity cheer team.

"Very well, consider yourself noble," Cindy spins on her heel and walks over to the stereo.

"I will be making cuts based on your performance of the number we did in playoffs back in fall. One wrong placement, one move out of rhythm and the door is over there. This should flow like water because we've spent a whole month everyday dedicating our time to getting this down perfect," she scrolls to her playlist.

I looked at Mariana and she gives me a strong nod. We need a partner for this and it can get pretty messy if you and your partner can't coordinate. That's why we learned both parts to this.. Mariana's lighter than me so we don't have to discuss anything.

The rest of the girls scrambled looking for partners with scared looks on their faces.

"Don't throw up okay?" I looked at Mariana and she giggled.

"Don't drop me, yeah?" She teased back.

"FIVE SIX SEVEN EIGHT!"

Keeping up with the rhythm, Mariana moves swiftly but vigorously by my side. Maintaining the momentum we transition into the first coordinated move. A loud thud caught my ear but I maintained focus on giving Mariana a twirl and wheeling her back in so she can slide back away.

"CUT" Cindy yells and two girls got up from the floor.

"We're okay," Mariana gets me to focus again and we subconsciously move in sync to the music.

"Get ready," as we prepare for our next coordinated move, I give a knee and quickly lift Mariana with my hands and into the air. Holding it for a few seconds, Mariana does her part and my arms start to burn.

I hear another thud and this time it was Rachel...

"CUT... I'm disappointed..." Cindy's heels clicked as she continues to observe.

"Hang in there Matt," I hear her wrap up her part and she leaps back down into my arms and I twirl her away from me.

My face was hot and covered in sweat. My arms burned more than my legs and this was part of it. I knew it was. But it didn't keep me from moving.

The music comes to a stop and me and Mariana remained in our positions. The rest of the girls did- except for two of them.

"CUT," Cindy screeches at the two who lost their formation.

"Six people.... six fucking people," Cindy shakes her head. Taking a deep breath and flipping her gold hair to the back again, she starts crossing names off the the clipboard.

"Okay, go hit the showers and come back out here and rest up by the bleachers. I'm aware we didn't do any stretches or warmups but seeing that majority of you can keep up without doing so shows you deserve to be here. I will be conducting votes on who will be picked as an addition into our little family," Cindy walks over to the tables and catches her breath.

<><><><><><>