Chapter 138

Olly's POV
*earlier before Cindy sees her therapist*

I clenched my backpack and maneuvered my way through the hallway trying to get to class early. It doesn't even feel right trying to think it.

I really didn't feel like talking to anyone.

"Oh my god, olly you're okay! I saw what happened," a few kids approached me.

"Yeah it's crazy," I replied and quickly kept going.

My pocket buzzed and as I was about to reach for it, I realized I had a couple of flyers in my pocket. I don't even remember grabbing these.. I wonder if this was what the doctor was talking about me being forgetful.

I checked my messages and Mariana is asking me to help look for a girl Matt scouted as a potential candidate.

I mean, I'll try. There's a lot of new faces here this semester.

Fuck it, I'll just go to class late. It's not even like me to arrive early; either I'm on the dot or I'm a few minutes late, or I'm at the library shelving books for more volunteer hours. There's no in between.. or betweens- is that even a word?

The hallways were becoming empty as one bell after the other and then finally the late bell... in shelving books today. I mean, I wanted to do that anyway.

This type of attention is the type I don't like. I sound weak. I know better than to show people I'm weak, but I'm so tired. I could've stayed out the entire week but that's not a good way to start the semester. I need to maintain good grades and my dad forged my signature to apply for that academic scholarship at my community college. Weirdo.

My thoughts drifted and I finally spotted a girl who was confused looking at a piece of paper- AND SHE MATCHES M&M'S DESCRIPTION.

"Look at Olly the Great, not being so great," a group of guys shoved me into the locker from behind and I got winded. I focused on breathing and it didn't take me long to get control of myself before I looked up to see who was meddling with me.

"Remember us?" One of them cracked their knuckles.

"I wouldn't dare try and remember your ugly asses," I snarled and I got shoved in the lockers again.

I dropped my book bag to the side and held up my fists, I'll play along. Instead of having the self respect of fighting one on one, I got jumped simultaneously and I realized my reaction time is slower than usual. We're just gonna have to slug it out.

Punch after punch- I wasn't the one throwing punches, I was the one taking them. My body started aching in ways I've never felt before. I'd rather be projected mid air and launched 6 feet with the weight of a toddler collapsing my lungs again.

I took a kick to the gut and my back went flying against the locker and the exact spot on my head from a few nights ago was triggered.

I couldn't breathe and everything flashed white for a few seconds blinding me. My chest was tight and I was struggling to circular air in my lungs. The air was so dry and thin, I was dizzy and my eyes started to get sore.

My inhaler.

I reached for my pocket in my denim jacket but one of the boys pressed his shoe against my shoulder and I made contact with the locker a third time.

They all laughed as I was still in shock and struggling trying to get control.

Flashes of fire and smoke caught my eyes. Nicole's crying and horrible screams echoed along with Jiggy's barking and howling. I couldn't bare it. That moment that night, I thought I was gonna die. I felt like I was going to die. No matter how much I try to push the thought away, that's what I felt.

No. I don't want to die. Not ever.

I gripped the boy's ankle and twisted it with a loud pop and I jerked back counterclockwise and it popped again.

He falls to the ground crying and I got up again to throw a couple rounds. Simultaneously, I was dodging and throwing punches and tossing these two lames like rag dolls.

One fell and decided to stay down because he was so out of breath.

It was just one on one now. My type of fight. I gripped my fists tighter and moved faster. The thrill, the rush, all of it. I savored every second it had to fuel me.

"I can't feel my leg!" One cried and it threw his friend off guard so I took the advantage to round house kick him across the face and kneed the one I took out earlier.

Wiping sweat from my face, I threw myself against the lockers from exhaustion and shuffled my pockets for my inhaler.

"Tell anyone I have asthma... ill do the same thing to your elbows and other ankle," I threatened out of breath and his two friends dragged him away from me with fear.

Why can I not remember them? They knew me...

My chest got tight again and I saw flashing images of the day me and Mariana were back to back fighting off a group of guys who cornered her.

I remember now.

"Is it always like this?" A girl comes out of hiding from the entrance of the girls bathroom.

"To be honest with you, I really dont know but hey," I reached in my jacket and grabbed my inhaler and took two takes and my lungs magically started opening up.

"Hey yourself," she giggles walking up closer to me.

She stops arms length from me and her eyes lifted and a sharp blue-grey pierced me. She's really pretty. Matt did a good job scouting this one, I understand why they were insistent on give her the flyer.

"You're that girl who saved the boy on New Years..." she mumbled and looked at me surprised.

"What are you doing getting beat up by other people? Shouldn't you be getting like a Nobel peace price?" She was confused.

"Got some lovers and some haters," I shrugged and I reached in my pocket for a crumpled flyer.

"One of the scouters on our cheerleading team spotted you earlier and thought you should sign up for try outs later in the week," I handed it to her and she looks at it emotionless.

"Cool, but I need a favor," she crumpled it back up and puts it in her hand bag. Classy.

"Can you help me find my classes? I have no idea how the hallways work," she hands me her schedule and I take a brief look at it. She only has two classes every day and she's free right after lunch- LIKE ME!

"Uh yeah no problem, you have a partial schedule like me and my friends. You wouldn't mind on hanging out with us, would you?" I handed back her schedule.

"Hanging out with the town hero and her friends? Pfffft like I could pass that up," she laughs and walks along side me.

"Olly by the way," I smiled softly.

"So you're the one that everyone's crazy about! I thought you were a boy,"  her face drops.

"I'm just a girl who likes to skateboard," I shrugged.

"Really? I just like to look good and shop," the girl smiles helplessly and shakes her head.

"I think you and Cindy would get along perfectly," i dwelled on the possibilities of her getting through try outs.

"Any ideas on how to get the team and co captain to like me?" She pulls out the crumpled piece of paper.

"If you look the part, you got the part. But after being in favor of looks, Cindy's going to test your ambition," I stopped in front of her first period.

"Thanks for the heads up Olly... oh- and, Chiharu," the girl bows in front of me.

"Uh Chiharu," i bow back and she engulfs a lively laugh.

"They really banged you up badly. No, Chiharu is my name," she laughs entering the classroom.

<><><><><>
Word of the day bc we're cultured😼

Chiharu ==> "Chee-ha-roo"
Japanese name meaning: clear skies