Author's Final Note

AN:

I think I need to clear up the controversy between chapters 5 & 6 about how olly stands up for others and how she respects women, but then cat calls Nicole in the next chapter😅

I didn't think it would create this much conflict with readers- not that it should once I explain it the way I'm About to anyways...

But I wanted to show that no one is perfect. As humans, we're all guilty for being a hypocrite about something- not the same thing, somewhere in between the silver lining, there is something we all stand to agree on, but then we don't always abide by that agreement.

In writing, I think we've all been subjected to the idea that made up characters are this "perfect" image of human beings and they can do no wrong. As an author writing her first successful story, I didn't really want to abide by that assumption because the remarks I've received proved my thoughts on other authors writing their characters to appeal to society's standards- I think it's cliche tbh and I wanted to do something that will cause readers to react. The intent of Olly's cat calling was to humble her image as she's seen as a pristine image of perfection of an ideal love suit when really... she's nothing more than human. We all know she means no harm and she is to be seen as this arrogantly cocky jock her community loves and adores. It's part of her imperfections. She's not feminine, nor does she strive for masculinity. She's just- well, Olly.

Even when the school staff decided to go toe to toe with her on prom night, Nicole made it clear that Olly didn't need to get egotistical, but she did anyways. Olly is human, as humans it's okay to act on impulse and get caught in the moment and let reality slip away in our fingertips.

But Uh- yeah, I hope that clears up the controversy about Olly catcalling and hopefully it'll stop people commenting that "she's acting like a man" when really they should be saying "that was ignorant of her" because how would you define a man? Not all men are sexist you know.. be realistic for Christ sake. There are loving fathers out here in the world but negative aspects of a man's masculinity is highlighted in society more than the positive. You cannot say that's not true bc now im wondering about your childhood and your life experiences with your encounters with men and how majority of it was probably with a man that had no sense of respect and morality- so please, unless you've experienced both contrasting aspects, refrain yourself. 🙂

it makes sense as to why I did script flip with Olly's character in those chapters, but then again, if you're a premature middle schooler- high schooler who doesn't really interact with a lot of people, you wouldn't be able to catch on that everyone literally has a flaw and that's okay because we're human. I wanted my characters to be human and not this ideal perfection of humans that meets society's standard. It should've been a reminder for you readers that you yourself shouldn't subject to those standards either. Olly and Nicole still ended up together despite those flaws.

Olly's flaws were always revolving around her personal thoughts on how she views herself: she thought she set herself up when Nicole assumed it was her behind the ketchup incident. She felt as though that if she wasn't such a class clown, Nicole wouldn't think that lowly of her. Explains why her and Mariana's relationship was stable: she was cautious all throughout as she didn't want the same thing to happen with Mariana as it did with Nicole, but when Olly tried to process as to why Mariana was too scared to tell her that she was moving, olly immediately blamed herself for Mariana not being comfortable enough to come to her about it- again, human.

Even Nicole was considerably toxic with a handful of flaws. She strongly believed that she was going to get back together with olly, so strongly the damn woman was heckling Olly's and Mariana's relationship and practically manifested it😭 I mean I can go on with all characters, I wrote the damn book for fuck sake 💀

Besides... it's made up, anything can happen on wattpad and it's not real- only ideal. maybe re-reading those two chapters, you might get a sense of what I'm trying to address.