152

It was mid-August and Belle would be finding out her N.E.W.Ts grades. After failing them the year before she was held back a year and had to take her exams again that year. To say that the girl was stressed as she awaited the morning post was an understatement. Remus was cooking breakfast as his daughter paced back and forth in the living room, Madison attempting to calm her nerves. Sirius was sat on the countertop near where Remus was and was annoying him to the max. 

"Belle, darling, come and eat," Lyall called from the dining table as he poured some juice into some glasses. "You'll feel better."

"I don't think I can eat," Belle confessed to Madison, "I feel sick."

"I'm sure you do, but trust me, Belle, they are not the be-all or end-all." Madison gently led the girl into the kitchen with a hand on her back. 

As the entered, Sirius hopped off of the counter and outstretched his arms to Belle, "trust me baby Lupinite you'll be fine no matter what you get you've made all of us proud and your prat proud too. You've worked so hard for these, sweetheart, that even if they aren't what you want you should be proud of yourself either way."

Belle smiled smally at his words of encouragement but it didn't settle her or her stomach. She took her place at the table just as everybody else did and just lifted up her fork as one of the school owls swooped into the kitchen window and perched on the sill. The room fell silent and Belle slowly rose up and took the letter. The owl hooted before soaring back into the sky without a second thought. 

"Belle, take your time, if you don't want to say anything yet we will be patient," Said Harley who leaned into Bill's shoulder.

Taking a deep breath, her hands growing clammy as she unpicked the seal and slid out the inner parchment. Her eyes glazed over as she read the words on the page. Her lips began to tremble and her family took that as a sign of her passing, a cry of joy ready to burst. instead, her hands shook and she dropped the letter to the floor before a river of tears streamed. 

"I failed again!" She sobbed and was instantly encased in a hug by her father who looked to his own father unsure what to do. 

Belle had failed her retakes and there was not much he could say that would make her feel better. He knew she was dreading failing once again and if he could magic up a potion to make her feel better her would but for now he would have to stick to chocolate. He held out a piece to her but she pushed it away. 

"It's okay, Belle," Harley ate the chocolate Belle refused and handed her cousin a tissue, "you tried your best, babe."

"I have to go back to school."

"Actually, you don't have to, sweetheart," said Sirius. 

"No, I do."

"Belle-"

"No, you don't get it. I have to go back because I am not letting some poxy tests define me. I will pass if it's the last thing I do." Belle wiped her tears and stormed over to the table where she devoured her breakfast like a famished animal. 

Belle's exams over the past year did not go as swiftly as planned. She was focussing on revising as much as possible, sending letter after letter to Fred and her father and also had the bane of being a werewolf to affect her learning. She spent days in the hospital wing each month and catching up on the work she missed during those days pushed her revision back. 

Later that day when they went to the Burrow, the twins who had closed the shop an hour earlier were there ready to congratulate Belle. "There's my smart girlfriend!" Fred cheered as Belle entered the room. "Well done for passing, Bella!"

Madison waved her hand in front of her neck to try and stop Fred but alas, he wasn't taking the hint. Belle dodged Fred and smiled at Ginny. "Looks like you won't be getting rid of me that easily, Gin." She laughed but it was clear that she was still rather vexed at the entire situation. 

Ginny frowned, "I'm happy that I'll have you but I'm sorry also."

"Nah, it's okay, us girls stick together, right?" Ginny nodded. 

Harley and Bill went off into the garden it was one of their last days together as Harley was to return to Egypt now that their honeymoon period was coming to an end. Bill sat down on the grass and pulled his wife onto his lap. "I can't imagine being in Belle's position, I feel awful for her." Said Bill, tucking Harley's hair out of the way. 

Harley nodded in agreement, "I know right. It must be so hard for her and with the added stress of everything else now it is going to be very tough on her. I wish I could take it away from her. I would go back to school and do it all for her if I could, not that I don't have faith in her, like, I believe she can do it. But mentally, is she going to be able to cope?"

"Whatever happens, she has an army behind her supporting her. Now, Mrs Weasley, my lips are sore can you kiss the better?"

Harley snickered, "why are they sore, huh?"

"Well, I have a beautiful wife and I can't stop kissing her."

"Mhmm, well then better go and ask her to kiss them better."

"i just did," Bill said confused, "so are you going to or not? Because I have somewhere to be in five minutes."

"Oh really? Then I fear it must wait."

"Oh hell no! Pucker up now, Mrs Weasley, you're not getting away with it that easily."