74

It seemed that no matter how many times they slept beside each other, both Harley and Bill quite often liked to sleep in a position over than a star-fish, with the other one ending up either on the floor or laying on top of them. Usually it was Harley laying on top of Bill as he star-fished but this time Bill was on top of Harley.

Unlike Harley who weighed next to nothing, Bill was heavier than her and definitely meant that she awoke in pain and out of breath. She tried to push him off but he only cuddled into her tighter. "Bill..." she muttered, so badly wanting to go back to sleep. "Bill..."

"Don't take my bloody pillow, Fred! How many times do I have to tell you!" He grumbled gripping her tighter.

"Bill, please wake up!" She cried afraid of being hugged even tighter and dying of suffocation. Harley tried raised her knee but she couldn't even do that. Sighing irritably, she shouted, "BILL!"

The man awoke with a start and rolled straight off of her. Harley sighed in relief, rolling onto her side and pulling the duvet up further, closing her eye and attempting to fall back asleep.

"What the bloody hell was that for?!" Bill exclaimed, annoyed from being woke up. Harley didn't reply as she continued to allow sleep take over her again but Bill was not letting her do so without a reasonable excuse. "Harley! Answer me goddammit!"

Opening her eyes groggily she stared at Bill who looked far from impressed. "You were full on lying on top of me! I couldn't breathe!"

Bill rolled his eyes, "Sure you couldn't. So it's okay for you to do it to me but when it's the other way around you get all pissed!"

The woman sat up suddenly pissed off. "I don't see you complaining! You quite often make me lay like that! However, if you're hurting me and I'm struggling to breathe and you won't wake up I have to do something!"

"So shouting is your answer, is that what you're saying?"

"If you won't wake up and I can't push you off onto the bed, then yes!"

Bill shook his head, "that's stupid."

"I'm sorry?"

"I said that's stupid! I just wanted some sleep and you rudely wake me up when I can't help what I do in my sleep! Maybe if you weren't in the way I wouldn't have slept on top of you!" Bill shouted standing up and flinging a pillow at the wall.

Harley didn't want to hear anything. She stood up and left the room slamming the door behind her. Stalking downstairs she took the blanket and a cousin and laid down on the sofa. A tear fell from her eyes and she flinched as she heard another bang.

The hits and loud bangs reminded her of her childhood. How Lorcan would throw things at the wall, including her "mother" when he got angry. How Anna would smash bottles and dishes when she was angry.

What hit her hard the most was how Bill told her she was in the way. Her "father" also had told her this many of times. Just hearing Bill ash out that scared her, to the point she was trembling and clutching the blanket to her body like a small child who was scared of the dark and how the blanket always seemed to be a protective/ comforting barrier to small children. It was acting like that to Harley currently. She wouldn't say she was scared of Bill. Just what he was acting like.

Instantly, Harley began to regret shouting and waking him up. She wished she had left him how he was and just went along with him laying on top of her instead of causing this outburst.

It was awful how only a few mere hours ago Bill and Harley were discussing the future of their relationship and how much later down the line children and marriage could be a possibility. When now they were in this situation.

Bill was furious. He threw pillow after pillow at the wall and then moved on to books. On ebook smacked into the skirting board of the wall and the skirting board fell loose, dropping down and revealing a small cubby in the wall.

He groaned in annoyance and knelt down to fix it when he noticed a box in the cubby. Reaching in he pulled it out and opened it. Inside were many diaries with different years on. Slumping against the wall, Bill picked one out which was dated the year that he and Harley would have been nine.

Opening it halfway through he began to read it, Harley's handwriting small scrawl, nothing like her neat writing now.

Dear Diary,

Mummy and Daddy have said I can't see Aunty Hope and Uncle Lyall and Remus anymore. Daddy says uncle Lyall is a meany who said bad things about him. I think he is wrong but I can't say anything because he will get angry. I don't like it when he gets angry. He's really scary and hurts me.

I want to see uncle Lyall, aunty Hope and Remus. I love love love love love them so much and daddy lies a lot so I don't believe him!

I wish they would come and get me! I don't like it here.

Daddy was very angry last night. He kept drinking his meddysin and mummy joined in. I think it's called whizzy, I don't know. All I know is that they say it makes them feel better so it must be meddysin.

They got really angry. Daddy started shouting and he pushed mummy into the wall and I saw him. He saw me and picked me up. He took me to my room and pushed my onto the floor. He kicked me and hit me. He said I was nortie and should not have seen it. That bad girls must be told off.

I have brooses now.

I hope Santa got my letter and tells uncle Lyall and Aunty Hope and Remus that I want to live with them. That Siri and Jamie and Pete and Maddie get what they want too.

Merry Kristmas,

Love Harley, aged nine.

Xxxxxxxxz

Bill sighed, what had just happened?