68

Throughout the nights afterwards  Bill awoke to Harley having nightmares, crying out in her sleep and screaming. Each time he held her close to him and whispered calming things and cracked aces jokes he knew she liked. He told her stories of things that happened when he was a child and each time she fell back to sleep, for a short period of time.

Bill was awake early one morning and knew that he couldn't leave her alone even if she was asleep. He couldn't get back to sleep after she woke up the last time. So, instead, he lifted her into his arms and carried her downstairs, placing her carefully into the sofa and covering her over with a blanket.

He made himself a cup of coffee and read the newspaper that Ginger had dropped off that morning when a knock sounded on the door. It was Roger and Asa. "Morning Bill, how is she?" Roger greeted as Bill let the pair into the home and let them sit at the table.

He sighed, "nightmares, she had so many. I expected she would, I don't think she has anymore tears to cry though. Now she just clings onto me and I hold her closely. I would suspect she has lost her voice too, her screams will haunt me."

"That's why I brought these." Said Asa handing him a pink box, "they're dreamless sleep teabags, one cup and she won't dream a thing. That should help with the nightmares."

Bill read over the back of the box and ate it in front of him. "Thank you, they'll really help." He looked over at Harley who was tossing and turning. He knew not to wake those having a nightmare so he made her a cup of the tea Asa had brought along with regular tea for the two men. Bill waited until it passed before waking her up and handing her the cup. "Drink this and get some more sleep." He told her quietly caressing her head.

She nodded, slowly gulping down the drink, not noticing the presence of Asa and Roger. Once she was done, Bill took the mug from her as she let out a small yawn, her head pushing further into Bill's hand as he ran his fingers through her hair. Eventually she fell right back to sleep and curled up on the sofa.

Bill placed the mug back in the sink and returned to sitting at the table. "However, another thing we came here to ask is, how are you, Bill? It's all well and good that you are looking after Harley, but you need to also look after yourself."

"I'm fine."

Roger shook his head, "that's not the answer to Asa's question. You aren't okay, we can see you aren't. You aren't sleeping either, and from the looks of things you still blame yourself. Well don't. We know what Mad-eye Moody and Nymphadora Tonks told you and they are right. You are not to blame. Neither is Harley."

"But I am. I'm perfectly fine." Bill argued pushing his hair behind his ears.

"No you aren't. And I don't want you back at work until you are. You will take as much time off as needed. Look after Harley and look after yourself!"

Bill reluctantly nodded. "Thank you."

"Don't thank us, we're just doing what is needed and best." Replied Roger placing a hand on Bill's shoulder and rubbing it slightly. "Now we best be getting to work, we'll see you soon, Bill. You can't get rid of us that easily, we will help when needed."

Bill sent the men a small smile as they left the house leaving Bill to his thoughts until he heard Harley stir once again. She stretched and yawned, rubbing her eyes, sitting up. "Who left?" She asked, her voice hoarse and quiet as she tugged the blanket up to her chin, her knees to her chest.

Bill joined her on the sofa, letting her cuddle up to him. "Just Asa and Roger. Did you sleep better after that tea I gave you?" Harley nodded. "Good, Asa gave it to me. It's a dreamless sleep one so you have a cup of it before you go to sleep and you won't have any dreams or nightmares."

Harley didn't say anything. She rested her head on Bill's shoulder and played with the buttons on his shirt, letting them twiddle between her fingers. "Thank you. I'm sorry for being like this. I don't like keeping you up at night."

"Nonsense, love. You don't need to apologise. If it makes you feel better I am willing to do it. I hate seeing you like this and if it is helping that's good. Have you had any thoughts on telling your uncle and cousin?"

Harley nodded, "I'm not going to. At least not yet, Remus is focussing on his daughter whom he has just found out about and according to Uncle Lyall her mother is not the kindest and has chucked her in a kids home. He's got so much going on with her and it's better to let him deal with that, along with a teaching and his ex-best friend on the loose from Azkaban. And Uncle Lyall would tell him even if I asked him not too. He means well but I don't want anyone to know just yet."

Bill understood and held her closer to him, pressing a kiss to her forehead. "You're so brave, Harley. I'm so bloody proud of you." He whispered.

"What's there to be proud of?"

"Harley, not everyone would be dealing with what you are going through this well."

"This is good?"

Bill nodded, "Yes. You are tackling this quicker and better than many people. I was scared for a bit that you would hate me and push me away. But you haven't. I was scared you wouldn't want anything to do with anyone. But you haven't. I was so scared that you would hurt yourself out of pain, especially since you have had past issues with...abuse...and things. But you haven't. And Merlin, that makes me so proud of you."

"Bill?"

"Yes?"

"I love you."