137. Donnie X Reader: Cat Ears

Requested by PancakesYum2

Near Donnie's lab...

A documentary video plays as background noise as the narrator talks about a cat's ears and how their motion sensors move based on their emotions. This prompted (Y/N) to start the topic.

"That reminds me of an anime before it ended,"

"I think it was FLCL Progressive and one of the girls transformed into a robot by wearing cat ear headphones."

"To be honest, that's one of the few things I remembered out of that show."

"I really wish those headphones weren't so expensive..." (Y/N) said as they stretched their arms now interested in another documentary playing on the monitor screen.

Donnie went back to organize his toolset but, he noticed one of the extra and still in good condition headphones hidden in a cardboard box.

3 weeks later...

A miniature version of the drill popped in front of (Y/N). Startling them for a few seconds until they spotted their name in cursive near the cat ear headphones.

Raph and Leo gave an unimpressed look at Donnie until Mikey spoke up.

"Donnie had a bit of trouble, trying to add the colors so I helped him out on that!"

"And I also made sure he didn't add some overprotective measures."

"Since his previous gifts for us,"

"Didn't feel like gifts to begin with." Mikey added as the two brothers nodded at their youngest brother's comment while Donnie folded his arms.

(Y/N) held onto the modified headphones replying back to Mikey.

"So you three, just went ahead to try on the gifts?"

"Without knowing, what the devices would do?" (Y/N) said as the trio sweatdropped. 

Remembering that the three of them rushed in, eventually encountering Meat Sweats for the first time. Without letting Donnie explain the actual purpose of those gifts.

"Well anyway, thanks Donnie for the surprise gift!" (Y/N) said as they wore the new headphones walking ahead of the turtles.

After a few minutes, Leo took notice of the robotic cat ears when (Y/N), Mikey, and Raph got scared by a loud sound, caused by a cat pouncing on a trash can later chasing after a mouse.

"Huh, you definitely put a lot of thought into the gift though,"

"I'm surprised how you missed the opportunity for them to have matching cat gloves." Leo said as Donnie blushed at the thought of (Y/N) playful doing the nya pose.

A few days later...

In the lab near 4 pm, Donnie removed his goggles and placed it near the display monitor. As the screen showed hardly any danger at the moment.

(Y/N) sneaked up behind him while carefully putting their headphones on the distracted turtle. While he was cleaning the lenses on his goggles. It didn't take long for him to notice the cat ear headphones. Hearing the mechanical ears turn in an alert manner.

"Any particular reason, why I'm wearing your headphones?" Donnie asked as he looked at (Y/N) with a smile.

"Sometimes you're like a cat."

"Trying to fulfill the unfeeling nature for your self proclaimed bad boy image but,"

"You secretly enjoy the attention, whether you admit it or not." (Y/N) said as Donnie scoffs.

"I still prefer being a mutant turtle, thank you very much." Donnie said as (Y/N) snickered.

"Then explain how, you and Raph have a kitten sneeze while your other two brothers don't." (Y/N) said.

"I assume it's a genetic thing but, I honestly have no lead to that." Donnie said.

"So Splinter isn't an obvious lead when he kitten sneeze, after getting the yearly rat flu." (Y/N) said as Donnie blinked.

"I never thought of that until you pointed it out but,"

"I always hate getting sick, regardless if I get the rat flu or not." Donnie said as (Y/N) hummed.

"April always said you're a handful either from,"

"Being the highest peak of your dramatic personality or too stubborn to take medicine." (Y/N) said as the headphones' cat ears turned back.

"How touching of April to say that..." Donnie said with sarcasm in his voice.

Donnie went quiet for a few seconds as he spoke up.

"(Y/N), how are you when you get sick?" Donnie asked.

A faint blush surfaced on their cheeks as (Y/N) silently noted the cat ears turning sideways. Hinting the turtle's subtle concern on the matter.

"I got lucky not having my dad's side of getting sick, usually bedridden most of the time..."

"Though I have a bad habit of whining about anything while I'm sick."

"Its often about not being able to taste any food."

"And mostly sticking to hot soup as the regular meals."

"The brat diet is just too bland for me." (Y/N) said as they quickly brush off the blush before Donnie is aware of his friend's sudden flustered expression.

"The diet that consists of bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast."

"Funny you should mention that, because Splinter sometimes uses it when soup isn't available for all of us."

"Except, its a rare treat for applesauce since we tend to fight over the last one."

"And usually the winner has to stay in the time out corner." Donnie said as he removed the headphones and handed it back to (Y/N).

(Y/N) reequipped the headphones as they spoke.

"Well, at least you guys always apologize after those said moments."

"And for you Donnie,"

"You're getting a bit better understanding emotions."

"Through your scientific approach!" (Y/N) said as they waved goodbye for the night.

After (Y/N) left, Donnie felt regret not being able to comment on his friend's mindful remark. Slightly mad at himself for continuing his slow crush on them.

__________________________________

Edited July 11, 2020

I finally got around to this request and surprisingly it didn't need a heavy revision (Just proofreading tbh lol)

Leave comments or criticisms