56

Almost a month. That's how long Braxton had been avoiding her father. Anytime Rich was home she wasn't, and the days he had off Braxton spent the night at Toni's. She still couldn't find it in her heart to forgive her dad for letting her believe Fangs was dead.

On Thursday morning and she walked down the stairs, she saw Rich drinking coffee as he sat in the kitchen reading the daily paper. "You're home early." She said as she walked up to him. "Braxton, I think it's time you and I talk." He replied setting the paper down.

"I'm not in the mood."

"I have given you twenty days. You can give me ten minutes." He snapped at her. She let out a sigh and faced her father from across the counter. "You have every right to be upset at me, I'm not taking that from you. But what I did? I was protecting Fangs. I was keeping him safe."

"I don't see how you thought it was okay?"

"Announcing that Fangs Foggarty died prevented the riot to come to the hospital that was happening at the police station, Braxton."

"You didn't even check on me to make sure that I was okay?"

"I know-"

"You're always the first person I go to when I need someone strong."

"Braxton, I'm sorry-"

"No, you don't get to be sorry."

Braxton not giving him the opportunity to speak by cutting him off left Rich frustrated and helpless. He wanted the opportunity to explain himself, but his daughters stubborn ways prevented that and he finally had enough. "Braxton, that's enough!" He shouted over her. His stern voice bounced off every wall of the house. Hardly ever did he use that tone with her. She immediately pressed her lips together and stared at her father with narrowed eyes.

"I was ordered not to tell you." He told her as he let out a sigh. "By who?" She asked.

"FP. He asked that I tell no one outside of the hospital, and he specifically stated I don't tell you."

"Why?"

"Other than Jug, FP looks to you and Sweet Pea as leaders of the younger Serpents. He knew that if you and Sweet Pea knew the truth, the other Serpents would catch on. We needed to sell his death for his safety. I wanted to check on you, but I couldn't. And that killed me. So as soon as my shift ended I rushed home so I could tell you the news."

Braxton could see the hurt on her fathers face. The hurt from knowing he caused his daughter so much pain and there wasn't anything he could do. She leaned across the island and grabbed Rich's hand. "I'm sorry." She told him.

"No, I'm sorry. I may not be to keen on the idea that Sweet Pea slept over, but he was there for you when I wasn't. For that I respect him." Rich paused for a second, bracing himself for the answer he knew was about to come. "So... Are you two an item again?"

A wide smile came over Braxton's face. Rich could see she was finally happy again. "We are. And I know that you probably don't agree with it-" 

"Danny told me he's a good guy. I look forward to getting to know him better."

Braxton and Rich shared a brief moment of eye contact. She ran around the island wrapping her arms around Rich's neck as he squeezed her waist. "I love you." He whispered in her ear. "So much."

When Jughead interviewed Mr. Topaz, he was gathering information for a presentation that he had to give in history class. But after discovering the ugly truth that he had, he took it a step further and had it publish in the Blue and Gold, which set Toni on fire.