121

As Braxton sat at the couch in the student lounge with Sweet Peas arm wrapped around her when suddenly they heard a chorus of applause come from the hall way. "What the hell is that?" Sweet Pea asked as they both turned towards the door as Betty walked in. "There she is!" Braxton smiled. "Congratulations." "Thank you." Betty replied as she took a bow and sat down across from them.

"How was it?"

"If you mean how was beating Bret, I must say it was quite glorious. The look on his face when they lost was worth all the sleepless nights I was up studying."

"Well, I'm glad you put pretty boy in his place."

"Is this the same guy you have my girlfriend charming?" Sweet Pea asked.

"Maybe." Betty cautiously replied.

"Thatta girl." He smiled at her.

"So where were you yesterday? You missed school and the Quiz Show."

"Well, Sweet Pea here thought it would be a good idea to physically assault John. So we laid low." Braxton told her.

"Who's John?"

"Jessica's husband." Sweet Pea mumbled.

"Who's Jessica?"

"Sweet Pea's mom." Braxton said.

"Oh.. Kay?" Betty was genuinely confused by the entire situation.

"Betty Cooper please report to the principals office. Betty Cooper to the principals office." Mr. Honey boomed over the PA system. The two girls looked at each other and Betty said, "He probably just wants to talk about the quiz show." And stood up for the door.

Sweet Pea looked down at Braxton and said, "He sounded kinda pissed."

"Yeah. Kinda." She replied and looked down at his hand that was still slightly swollen from the Sunday night. "How's it feel?" 

"Fine. A little tight when I make a fist. But I'm okay."

"You think he's going to file charges?"

"Oh yeah." Sweet Pea laughed as the bell for first period rang. He stood to his feet and held his hand out for Braxton to help her up.

"Are you worried?"

"Nah."

As Sweet Pea and Braxton walked into first period they caught the end of Fangs and Kevin's conversation. She couldn't believe what she heard. "Wait, what did you just say?" Braxton asked for clarification. "Rumor has it they found the answers to the Quiz Shows questions torn up in Betty's garbage." Kevin sighed.

"There's no way. She was constantly studying."

"Maybe the pressure got to her?" Fangs suggested.

"Betty would never." She insisted. She turned and looked at Sweet Pea who shrugged his shoulders. "Maybe she did?"

The rest of the day Braxton was constantly looking for Betty, but she never showed up to any of her classes. As she walked down the hall she saw Archie standing at his locker. "Did you hear?" She asked as she walked up to him. "About Betty? Yeah." He replied."

"Do you believe it?"

"Not for a second."

"It has to be Bret."

"Without a doubt."

"I'll talk to Jug, see if he can get anything out of Bret."

"Sounds good. I'll head to Betty's after school, make sure she's okay."