18

It had been a little over a month since Braxton and Sweet Pea officially got together. They walked down the halls of Southside hand in hand and people still sometimes stopped and looked in shock. Shocked that Sweet Pea finally had a girlfriend. Shocked that said girlfriend was related to Jughead Jones, the kid he despised. Shocked that said girlfriend was not a Serpent.

They walked into literature and Braxton took her seat next to Sweet Pea who had his arm rested on the back of her chair. She looked up and saw that Mr. Phillips was watching her. He was green with envy. Even though he couldn't take his eyes off of them, he did a good job hiding his frustrations.

In the past few months Phillips took an interest into Braxton as one of his star students. She had a profound love for literature and very refined taste. She loved modern day novels but also enjoyed the classics. Teaching at Southside, this was the first time he ever encountered a student like Braxton. He was drawn in. And he wanted to explore her mind more.

"What are you up to after school?" Sweet Pea asked as he turned towards Braxton. "I was going to go see what Jug-." She started to say but he cut her off.

"He's a loss cause, Brax. He's more into what Betty and her mystery misfit gang are up to."

"I know, but he's still my cousin and he basically ghosted everyone."

And he did. Jughead hadn't been to school at all the past week. No one could get ahold of him. And when they would see him in public he would turn the other cheek.

"Look, I get it. But if you change your mind let me know, okay?"

"I will, I promise."

The tardy bell rang and Mr. Phillips cleared his throat, "Good morning!" He said loudly to get everyone's attention.

She looked up and saw that he was still looking at her. When Braxton and Sweet Pea became official, Mr. Phillips seemed to have taken notice. He watched her more than he did before, almost like he was bothered by their relationship which was alarming to Braxton.

"Is everything okay?" She heard Sweet Pea ask from beside her. She cut her eyes from Mr. Phillips to look at him and said, "Yeah, why?"

"You seem tense?"

"I'm fine."

Sweet Pea put his hand on her bouncing leg that she didn't even realize was bouncing and then pulled her chair towards him. She scooted closer to his side and her anxiety quickly subsided as she let out a deep breath of air. For the rest of the class Braxton avoided looking at her teacher as much as she could.

When class was over she quickly gathered her things and darted out of the classroom leaving Sweet Pea behind. "Brax?" He shouted to her but she kept walking. Mr. Phillips turned his attention to him and said, "That ones a pistol."

Sweet Pea gave him look with no expression and took off after her, but when he got to the hallway she was no where to be seen.

She pushed her way into the bathroom where Toni was sitting by the window as she smoked a cigarette. "You good there?" She asked before taking a drag. "Yeah, I'm fine." She quickly repsonded.

"You look like you just saw a ghost."

"Something like that." Toni gave her a weird look and stared at her. "What?" Braxton snapped.

"What aren't you telling me?"

"Nothing."

"Brax?"

Braxton looked at her and then checked all the bathroom stalls. "What are you doing?" Toni asked. "If I'm going to tell you what the hell is going on I need to make sure I'm only telling you." She replied

"Okay?"

"Does Mr. Phillips ever make you feel, uneasy?"

"All the damn time? He's a babe."

"No no, not like that. "

"Then how?"

"You know, just kind of, awkward?" Toni gave Braxton another strange look and she instantly regretted saying anything. "You know, just forget it."

"What? Hell no, you can't do that."

Braxton headed for the door and pushed it open. "I'm just being dramatic. Forget I said anything."

"Braxton?"

"Please?"

"Okay." Toni mummbled then Braxton disappeared as the door closed behind her. Toni took one last drag of her cigarette, put it out and flicked it out of the window, still curious to what Braxton was trying to get at.