Just What I Needed (56)

Start from the beginning

Looking up from his task Seth met her eyes, sending her a smirk that she steeled herself against, knowing her weakness. “You think I’d let you play on your album if you weren’t? I’d be your session guitarist if you weren’t.” When her gaze didn’t soften on him, he shook his head discouraged, focusing back on the task at hand, literally. “You’re incredible on the guitar, better than most people I’ve met, you could kick people like John and Tyler’s asses. But, still, it’s your voice that’s the best part, rebel, you could be fucking Eric Clapton and it would still be your voice.”

Wishing that she was unaffected by his words was useless, wasn’t it?

Because when he looked up again so his eyes caught hers, sombre as the golden sheen smouldered into her gaze, Keely felt her heart flip in her chest.

And since he still hadn’t tore his gaze away from hers, she could feel the electricity coursing through her body to the point she was surprised her hair didn’t start crackling from the static, Keely forced her eyes up to the ceiling. With her whole body screeching at her to just jump him finally, she heaved a great sigh and flopped back on the bed, keeping her legs crossed.

Yes, as much as she’d like to simply through herself at him to know for sure what would happen, she was sure she could hold back her desires until the day she died. Sure, that was a bit dramatic, yet she could do it even if it was painful. Of course she’d be wondering what it would have been like until her days as an old lady with a houseful of cats and a walker as she rambled on about the good old days when she’d been famous, but it would also mean her relationship with Seth would never change. Because she honestly loved their friendship, and depended on it – and him – more than she had ever wanted to rely on something.

So she could go on denying herself forever, she could never risk their friendship or their song writing or his producing over a maybe. Because he didn’t return her feelings... he couldn’t. After all, the only guy who had ever wanted her before had also slept with every girl in their high school.

Hearing a muffled curse, Keely lifted her head to peek up at him just in time to see Seth ripping the gauze off his wrist again, looking aggravated. Feeling a little laugh bubble up in the back of throat despite her previous thoughts, Keely shoved up on to her elbows casually for a better view as Seth began the entire process over again, although he wasn’t looking so patient anymore.

“You’re doing that wrong,” Keely informed him, unable to keep herself from using that smug tone. She was going to enjoy this moment, really savour it, because, honestly, how often did she know about something that he didn’t?

He looked up at her warily. “How would you know?”

Rolling her eyes, she pushed herself up fully so she was, once again, sitting. “I lived on a farm, Ryan, I had to wrap horses’ legs all the time, it’s the same premise.”

For a moment she had the great satisfaction of taking in his taken aback expression. Oh, yes, she was enjoying the fact that she knew something he didn’t. “Oh,” he answered simply, looking back down as he continued to clumsily bind wrist.

Sighing, Keely slid herself from the middle of the bed, her socked feet touching the carpet lightly.

“Here,” she told him quietly, moving closer, “I’ll do it.”

Ignoring – well, at least attempting to – the instant pick up of her heart rate as she stepped close enough that their bodies were almost brushing, Keely made sure she didn’t look up into his eyes. That would be her down falling. Taking the roll of gauze from his good hand, she took a hold of his sore wrist gently in her hand, her fingers feather light. But as she began to untie his attempt, the edge of her hand accidently grazed his stomach that was covered by the thin cotton of his shirt and she felt the muscles beneath her light touch tense.