Just What I Needed (41)

Start from the beginning

Very nearly crashing down to the ground on the bottom step, she managed to shove all her things into her bag before running out the door, her bag trailing behind her as she moved, slamming the door shut behind her. Checking her watch as she opted for the stairs – there was no waiting involved in that option – Keely smiled triumphantly, because, although she'd very nearly died in hurry, she was only five minutes late.

“See you Mr Englis!” called Keely easily without so much as glancing in his way, just shoving her way through the front doors.

Of course, there was Seth, always infuriatingly on time, leaning back against the side of his car, his arms folded in front of his chest. “Should I just start coming five minutes late to everything?” he asked, smirking as she descended the steps.

“I'm going to choose to ignore that comment,” Keely responded, resiting the urge to glare at him.

He just raised an eyebrow at her, running a hand through his hair as she hit flat ground. “Are you going to be no fun tonight, too?”

That time she couldn't resist the urge to narrow her eyes at him, hastily taking up the step left between him and punched him in the stomach. Only afterwards did she realise it most likely hurt her more than it did him.

“Ow,” she complained, shaking her hand.

Laughing, Seth shoved up from the car, pulling her door open carelessly before skirting around the hood.

Throwing her bag into the back seat as she habitually did, Keely fell down into the passenger's seat, dropping her head against the headrest comfortably. “Do you even know how to get to the theatre?”

Rolling his eyes, Seth gunned the engine. “I've left in this city for a few years, except that half a year in L.A, I think I can find my way around the city,” he answered confidently, putting a hand on her headrest as he looked behind them, swinging the car around with one hand as it shot backwards.

“You lived in L.A?” Keely asked, slouching back in her seat.

“Yeah, bad couple months,” Seth snorted, “I hated it there.”

Her eyebrows rose. “What happened?”

“Nothing really, just didn't like it there, at all. The lady really isn't a tramp because she doesn't like California, let me tell you. I hated the studio that UAE has there, people were way too fake.”

Keely smirked, “So it's true that the smart people go to New York and the beautiful people go to California?”

“They aren't all beautiful,” answered Seth, giving a shudder.

Laughing, she looked out through the windshield, looking at the city alight by nothing but the street lights, the sun having set long enough before that the city was given that familiar, almost eery, sheen from the bright lights. As promised, Seth found his way through the horribly congested roads, getting people to swear out their windows or flip him the finger as he cut through the traffic, only succeeding in making Keely laugh as she sang with the radio.

Almost a half an hour later, with much bickering – although it was at the least good natured – and Keely singing, Seth swung into a parallel parking spot that she would have thought would be impossible for his car to fit, but he did it anyways. She almost wished they were two minutes later, then Feel Like Makin' Love could have finished.

Shoving out of the car, Keely continued singing the song down the road, a capella this time, though.

As they joined the line she caught sight of Seth slipping his hood on discretely from the corner of her eye. Smirking, she looked forward to the door to the theater, sing more quietly now, the boy really didn't want to be recognized.