Just What I Needed (26)

Start from the beginning

“Go on without me,” Seth answered, moving next to her so he could grab something from the cupboard before hastily moving away.

“Are you staying to work on the song?” Keely asked, hesitating.

He nodded, not so much as glancing her way. “Yeah, might as well.”

“I'll take a rain check too,” she decided abruptly, looking at Marco.

He just shrugged. “Suit yourselves, I'll see you two tomorrow.”

“Aw, I didn't know you liked me that much.”

Groaning, Keely buried her face in her hands. “God, now I'm wishing that I just left with Marco, you're already annoying me, Ryan.”

“Well you should go catch up with him then.”

She glowered across to him, raising her head from her hands. “If you're going to be working on my song then I'm going to be here."

"You're starting to piss me off."

"The feeling is mutual."

They glared at each other over the space bridging between them. Not even noticing when someone came to grab a water bottle from the fridge, sending them curious looks. Nope, they didn't even see when Maureen clipped past at a brisk pace, people scurrying behind her.

It ended to be Seth who broke off the staring contest, giving a loud sigh and turning around to rummage through the fridge.

"What are you making?" Keely asked, seeing the carton of milk in his hand.

He rolled his eyes, "My speciality. Captain Crunch."

"... Make me some?"

"Why should I?" he countered, now digging through yet another cupboard.

"I made you coffee!"

"Oh, so difficult," he muttered, "You should get a medal."

Yet he made her a bowl beside his all the same, gruffly passing it to her without so much as a glance in her direction. He seemed to be doing that a lot lately, the not looking at her. But Keely didn't mind, eye contact made attention to the other person rise. And whenever she paid attention to Seth, she had an urge to rant about him being a sell out.

They ate together in silence. So, therefore, no bickering and no violent urges to yell at him at least on Keely's part.

"You done?" he asked abruptly when she dropped her bowl into her lap.

Keely nodded mutely.

He snatched the bowl from her possession wordlessly.

Not knowing what else she could do at that moment, Keely gave a bored sigh, dropping her cheek into her cupped palm, watching Seth throw the dishes carelessly into the sink, beginning to rinse them out. She fully realized she might seem like a stalked, but she was ready to sacrifice dignity for knowledge.

Seth Ryan was still one giant mystery to her, and she wanted to know something about him. If he wasn't her producer, she'd never have even bothered since she dislike him too much to care. But here he was, almost having forced himself to be producer for her new album.

So she was curious.

The time at the abandoned club still bothered her. How could someone who was that good put out music like he did? It just didn't compute. Because he was incredibly talented, as much as it bothered her to admit, at both the song writing and playing.

Seth leaned forward slightly into the sink, pushing up the sleeves of his plain grey long sleeved shirt. Even if she was far from liking him as a person - tolerating seemed more appropriate - she had to admit he looked good. Well, really he looked hot, but she would never say that. The shirt was just flirting with being tight, and at the base of his neck, the shirt opened into a few little white buttons that he'd left open.