Just What I Needed (20)

Start from the beginning

"So have you heard it?" he enquired.

Feeling taken aback, Keely said, "Actually no, I haven't. But a third of the band that loathes me was in the studio recording the guitar track. Another third is going to be there late, so I thought I would go check it out."

"And which third would that be?" he asked interestedly.

"Not telling," she grinned easily. "I think I'll listen to the album tonight and then come down tomorrow to tell you if I agree."

"Don't you have to go to school on Monday?" his voice was suddenly stern as he stared her down.

Laughing, Keely patted his shoulder before taking a step back. "First of all, I have to remind you, rock star. But I had a 4.0 grade point average when I was in Bellingham and have been doing the work online."

"Then come on down, rock star, if you're not too busy."

Smiling to herself, Keely pushed out the door. Something To Believe In was it? Did she need something to believe in? The smile she'd been wearing for the past few days hadn't exactly been a mask, but it hadn't been as happy as when she first arrived. But she did love it down here, and this was one of her biggest secrets. And - though she felt unbearably guilty - Keely did not regret for a moment moving down here and leaving all of her family behind. It may seem heartless, but that was how she felt.

Maybe she did regret not calling her friends everyday, but she was busy, and they hadn't called her either.

But the thing she was most worried about was her father. Leaving Frank had been bad enough, but he hadn't went to call her or anything, and this was breaking her heart slowly.

Abruptly miserable again, Keely felt her head drop as she moped down the road.

"Hey," she pushed open the studio door.

"Oh, hey!" Marco's voice went from flat and surprised to joyful at the sight of her, and he gave her a long searching glance. "I didn't think you were coming today."

No stains or embarrassing things, Keely decided looking back up to him. Seeing as her glance down had only lasted seconds, Marco didn't notice the gap before she answered him.

"I didn't think I was either," Keely admitted, boosting herself up on the table before swinging her long legs around so she faced him. "But," she smiled down at him. "Since you were in here all day with the grim reaper, I thought I would come and cheer you up, maybe buy you a burger or something," she nudged him in the knee with her black covered toe.

He just gave her a silent look.

"I won't insult him anymore," Keely held up her hands. "And I apologize for that one," she promised, "What were you playing?"

"Some Led Zeppelin," Marco shrugged.

She frowned slightly, "I thought Seth was lead guitar."

Marco just shrugged, "Yeah, he is. But I play a little, I'm not even half as good as him, but I can hold my own when it comes down to it."

"Well, don't leave me hanging," Keely grinned, "Play me some Jimmy."

Smiling, he leaned down over his guitar so Keely couldn't see his eyes anymore. In the first bar, Keely recognized the song Over the Hills and Far Away. Smiling as he played, she couldn't help but start singing, it was one of her favourite songs after all.

'Hey lady

You got the love I need