Chapter 149 - Heroes Rising (Part Six)

Start from the beginning

"Okay, okay," Kira repeats, nodding to herself.

Kira then moves to the back of Bakugou, so her knees are at the top of his head. She stares down at him, his expression now upside down for her. She carefully grabs him underneath his armpits, and slides him up, so his back is leaning against her chest. He's warm. He's always warm. But, God- is he heavy. Kira grunts as she shoves him off her own body, so she's bracing him in a sort of slumped sitting position. His head hangs limp and she's honestly surprised that he hasn't woken up yet. 

"Will this do?" Kira wonders, as she holds Bakugou as upright as she can, one hand on his back, the other on his chest.

"Yes." Another nod. "If I pass the bandage to you, can you wrap it around his body on your side? Then we can keep passing it to each other."

"You're the doctor," Kira replies with a slight shrug.

The doctor unravels the bandage, handing it to Kira and they take turns in wrapping it around Bakugou's body. His injuries still look severe, bleeding and bruised. Kira grimaces as she covers his warmth with the supplies, hiding the marks of a fearsome battle away. She can feel his heart beating, strong and unrelenting. He's going to be just fine, she knows it.

Kira and the doctor continue to apply the bandages around Bakugou's shoulders, before moving onto his arms. He hands Kira a fresh roll of bandages, trusting her enough to handle Bakugou's left arm. Kira nods to herself for the thousandth time today, holding Bakugou up with her palms on his back, so the doctor can wrap the bandages on his right arm. Once he's done, it's his turn to support Bakugou while Kira covers his left arm with the supplies.

Kira moves carefully, as if her touch might hurt him even more so, but the truth is, her own nerves are getting the best of her, nerves that have no place in her heart right now. She moves down to Bakugou's hand, his fingers, limp and motionless. The very same fingers that graced her own on that shore. She wants them to move again, to feel them gently touch her skin.

Kira sighs irritably, lifting Bakugou's hand up and wrapping the bandage over his skin repeatedly. Over and under. Over and under, before moving onto his arm, unravelling it as she does, moving up his muscles and stopping just before his shoulder. Her work is pretty good, better than before. That's probably because she was in shock - her heart plummeted when she saw their bodies, beaten and bloody. She didn't know what to think. But, now...

"Thank you for your help," Kira says quietly, still marvelling at Bakugou's body, her fingers ever so gently stroking the bandages wrapped around his hand.

"No. Thank you," the doctor replies, causing Kira to finally look up. "How are you feeling? Did you get hurt at all out there?"

Kira shakes her head, looking at Bakugou again. "No, I didn't- I didn't do anything. These two" - she throws a lazy arm towards both Bakugou and Midoriya - "they're the idiots."

The doctor chuckles lightly at that - good thing he has a sense of humour. "I'm only asking because you look a little tired," he adds. "You should get some rest."

"How can I do that when there are villains out there?" Kira shakes her head briskly. "And- and all of you... you all need help as well. I'm not stopping yet."

The doctor sighs heavily, almost condescending. "Listen-"

"I'm not stopping yet," Kira says again, her tone harsh.

Before he can argue further, Kira gets to her feet, finally releasing her grip on Bakugou's fingertips and makes her way out of the makeshift medical ward, not before stealing a final glance at her sleeping classmates though. Both islanders and students rush around the factory, so Kira increases her pace, coming across Shoji and Ojiro handing out small bowls of food to any hungry civilians. There are dozens of benches scattered around, filled with innocent people, too scared and shocked to do anything. Their source of safety has been ruined, forced to hide out here.