Chapter 45 - Refusing The Light

Start from the beginning

"Here." She swings her arm back to hand him the magazine. "You interested? You read it."

He nods gratefully and handles it as if it were a newborn baby. She chuckles at his actions as his eyes shimmer with interest.

"I actually have to ask you something, Todoroki. About your scar," she says slowly, and his eyes slowly drift up from the page.

"What is it?"

"So, stop me if I'm crossing any boundaries," she starts, a little embarrassed to ask. "But did you... have you... what did you do about it?"

He frowns at her, his head slowly tilting quizzically.

"Y'know..." She points to the magazine page, hoping it will make the conversation easier.

She and Todoroki haven't spoken to each other much, so talking about this is a little out of place. However, they now have something they can relate over. Kira touches her neck and searches Todoroki's eyes for some kind of recognition.

He looks down at the magazine. "It happened when I was very young," he confesses. "I don't remember what was used to soothe the pain. I haven't really tried to remember."

"Right," she winces. "All I've done now is dredge up bad memories. Sorry."

"Don't be." He hands her back the magazine. "I find it helps to talk about it."

She hums in response, her fingers tracing over the lumps on her skin.

"Maybe I should take a page out of your book."

~

Akira didn't like this feeling. Her back against the cold wall, her legs sprawled out before her. Groggily, she raises her head, her vision swimming. She notices her hands, bloodied and beaten, her hair obscuring her eyesight.

"Finally." A familiar voice pierces through the silence. "I thought it was about time to give up on you."

Blinking rapidly, Kira notices a tall figure, covered in horrid burnt markings up and down his arms and across the majority of his face.

"No," she groans.

"What was that?" Dabi crouches before her, flicking his coattails behind him.

"How am I here?"

Dabi sighs, as if tired of the conversation. "It's in your head, you idiot. You're having a nightmare." He finishes in a torturous sing-song voice.

"Hey, friend!"

"Toga," Kira announces aloud as if she has to convince herself she's here.

"It is me! You recognise me! Finally!"

The schoolgirl skips over to Kira's collapsed body. No matter how hard she tries, she can't seem to move her legs - all she has control over are her hands and her head.

She raises her head once more, her bones weary. "I'm gonna kill you."

"Aw, how cute," Dabi teases, finally standing up straight.

"Don't tell me you're done with her already, Dabi!" Toga whines. "It's my turn."

"Whatever," he replies, waving a hand. "I still have one more surprise for her."

"Ooh, yes!" Toga claps her hands in excitement.

Dabi disappears through a distant door - too far away to be physically possible. A blinding white light escapes through the door and Kira struggles to keep her focus locked onto it. Instead, Kira looks down, hoping to count her fingers - in dreams, people have more fingers.