Chapter 39 - Dorm Room Competition

Start from the beginning

"Kirishima." She steps forwards, reaching a hand out, but hesitating. "Something's wrong, isn't there?" He drops his phone to his side, still vibrating. "Wh- what is it?"

"It's nothing," he replies almost immediately, straining a smile.

Kira frowns at him. "We may have only known each other for four months Kirishima, but I can tell when you're being less than honest with me."

She waits for him to open up, wondering if she should apply more pressure or not, when she spots him eyeing her newfound scar.

"Does it hurt?"

"No," she says, her voice suddenly thick.

"It kills me that I-" He looks to the buttons on the lift, his eyes shimmering with sudden tears. "I couldn't do anything."

"Well, of course not," she scoffs, swinging an arm up in a poor attempt to lift the depressing atmosphere. "You weren't even there to begin with, Kirishima."

"Maybe I should have been." Kira opens her mouth to argue, when he cuts her off, his voice growing in anger and frustration. "How can I live up to my dream of being the next Crimson Riot, if I can't even save you?"

She blinks at his confession, as he forces his eyesight back to her. "Save me?" She mouths. "Last I remember, I was the one that decided to recklessly jump in after the League of Villains. That was a choice that I made, even if it may have been the wrong one. It was my fault."

A flicker of anger flashes across his features, but Kira can't tell if it's directed at her or himself. "If I had just passed that stupid final exam, then I could have been right there with you, beside you, fighting those damn villains."

"Maybe," Kira replies, her voice softer than before, trying to imagine if she were in his position. "There's no point dwelling on it though."

Kirishima doesn't seem to have a reply to that.

"Isn't that what you say?" She continues, nodding to get his attention as his head droops in what she can only guess is defeat. "All you can do is learn from it. Learn and get stronger. And then the both of us... together... can teach those dumb villains a lesson. Whadya say?"

Kirishima glances up slowly, that familiar knowing smirk returning and Kira just knows she said something convincing. It appears infectious, however, as she too returns the determination, a smile of her own forming across her lips.

Kira reflects back on her own words: she'll get stronger, get a hold of her powers and then she'll give Dabi what's coming to him. And that schoolgirl villain too.

"Hey, Kira?" She snaps her head from her vengeous intentions to face her classmate.

He steps forward, with slight hesitation, leaning over to press the yellow button, allowing the lift to finally continue its journey. They're now only a breath away from one another and Kira can still see the faint trace of salty tears etched onto his eyes.

It's true, it's only been about four months since they first met back at the entrance exam, but since then Kira hasn't been able to bond with anyone quite like Kirishima. His attitude towards the world and his sheer determination to be an all-round better human is unbearably contagious. His integrity is something Kira desires to own as one of her own qualities one of these days.

In those four months, he's the only person she's gotten close enough to want to spend time with outside of school and even though her own power frightens her to the point of feeling the need to isolate herself from others, he's been there, unafraid and wanting to be there for her. With her.

It's clear now. She's been an idiot.

Kira hasn't realised how long she's been staring up at him, detailing the perfection of his features until the familiar ding resonates and the doors slide open.