Chapter 14 - Her Strange Behaviour

Depuis le début

Kira stares at her mother for a moment, noticing how pretty she is when she's happy. Mostly, she has a permanent scowl on her face, like she's tasted something foul. But now, she just seems open and free.

"Now then," Light Bringer sighs. "Let's start from the beginning."

Kira trained with Light Bringer on the powers that they already were aware of - her light that can come from her feet and her elbows. They decided that the power that she performed at the Sports Festival was the very last thing they were going to practice.

"It would be best to work our way up to that one to avoid burning everyone to a crisp now, wouldn't it?" Light Bringer had said during their training and it made Kira frown.

Kira had run out of dummies once Light Bringer had gone back out on patrol - she was heading out a lot more regularly now. Maybe she was planning on leaving again. Kira booted the already charred dummy, shooting her leg forward by projecting light from her calf. Much like Iida's able to do with his engine Quirk, Kira has been able to aim light from different parts of her body to help her fighting style.

Another half an hour had passed, when Light Bringer returned, carrying a white plastic bag.

"Akira!" She yells over the distance of the field.

"What's in the bag?" Kira asks once she had gotten closer.

Light Bringer looked down at her hand, as if she had forgotten she was holding it. She then went pink under the eyes, and disappeared into the house before Kira could even blink.

"Mother?" Kira frowns, as she enters the house after her.

She calls her name again, finding the house dark and cold. Suddenly, Light Bringer appears in front of her, pushing her back out the door.

"It's a surprise," she says then, slamming the door behind her.

"A surprise?" Kira repeats, her frown increasing.

Kira's noticed her mother acting weirder and weirder for the past few days now. She was weird at the beginning of the week even.

"I hate surprises, or did you forget?" Kira crosses her arms over her chest, peeking over her mother's shoulder and in through the door.

"Let's continue your training." Light Bringer changes the subject as she guides Kira back to the burnt dummies.

Kira huffs deeply, turning her head back to her house. Who cares if her mother is acting weirdly? Is Kira really mad that her mother is happy right now? Does she want the strict, moody Light Bringer back?

Even so, it does feel uncomfortable... like it's not really her.

On the final day of her internship, Kira and Light Bringer spent the entire day training. They continued all the way in through the night, only stopping when the horizon started to turn pink.

"I have an idea," Light Bringer says, her hand on her chin thoughtfully. "You've already surpassed me on the level of power your Quirk has," she explains. "But when it comes to control..."

"What are you saying?" Kira says, dabbing her neck with a cold towel.

"There may be more to your Quirk than you know, Kira."

Kira frowns - All Might said something similar to that after her fight with Bakugou at the Sports Festival: "It seems that there's more to your power than you know."

"You can probably control your Quirk in many different ways," she suggests. "We've already seen you use it in defence, attack and flight." She counts on her fingers. "Perhaps you could use your power to manipulate your opponent."