one hundred-two : call it what you want

Matthew Peter Grayson. A boy from New York, having his whole life fall into place. He accepted getting older, he accepted himself. Today was the day, the day.

Graduation.

Matthew woke up that morning, purposely early so he could lay in bed and stare at the ceiling. He couldn't help but feel deja vu staring at the ceiling, just like he did when he moved here.

He got up, walking out onto the porch, looking out at the lake. He accepted his maturity, he was nervous, but excited to start the rest of his life.

Christopher Jason Hayes, he also lay in his bed. He eventually went for a drive, trying to get his mind off of the day he'd have. He visited abuelito, catching him up on the events of the day.

They stalled and did nothing for as long as they could. Matthew got dressed, his fancy clothes under his cap and gown. He stood there in front of the mirror, staring at himself.

"We made it." Matthew thought to himself.

Through all the trials and tribulations, all the late nights crying, not feeling, and substance abuse. Finally, all the struggle made sense. He felt oddly nostalgic and bittersweet.

Christopher did the same, he nitpicked every detail about his appearance. The cap and gown adorned him, the school colors across his chest. He thought back to freshman year, no friends, no virtues, just a lonely boy who loved hockey. Back to now, an almost high school graduate, surrounded by his friends, happy. All the things that have led up to now, he couldn't be happier. He care that his father wouldn't be present, he didn't even care that his ex-friends wouldn't be in the pictures. He was so happy with the progress he had made, clean and happy.

Grad.

They all sat in alphabetical order with their class. Christopher and Matthew sitting next to each other, Elliot and Dylan in the rows behind them. They watched as members of their class made speeches, their teachers, and staff speaking. The fantastic four were anxious, they knew what lie on the other side of this, they were just scared.

"And now, we'll be presenting our seniors with their diplomas."

They immediately perked up.

"Matthew Grayson." He walked across the stage, shaking everyone's hand, stopping in-front of Coach Alastair.
"I'm proud of you kid." She hugged him.
"Thank you." Matthew smiled, hugging her back.

Everyone cheered and yelled for the star of the hockey team.

"Christopher Hayes." He shook hands, being pulled in by Coach Briggs and Coach Alastair.
"You did it." Ms. Penelope smiled at Chris, hugging him.
"I did." Christopher smiled.

The crowd cheered even louder for the captain.

"Elliot Mikhailov." He walked happily across the stage, getting thanked by all his coaches.
"Remember us when you're in the big leagues, kid." Coach Alastair smiled at him, with tears in her eyes.
"I will, Coach." Elliot said, smiling widely.

He walked back to his seat, wiping the tears from his face.

"Dylan Sharpe." She accepted her diploma, smiling widely.
"I'm so proud of you, Sharpe." Coach Alastair smiled. "Out of all of the boys, you were always my favorite." She chuckled.
"You were my favorite too." Dylan smiled back.