ninety-seven : kickstart my heart

April, game day

A year ago, the team was playing in the game that decided if they would go to state; today they'd do the same. Today would decide the rest of their lives. They'd either win and go to state, or lose and finish their season.

Their last high school season.

10:30 am, two hours to game time.

The whole team was dressed in their game-day best. They had to travel to a different school for the game, thankfully they didn't have to sit all day in school waiting for game time.

"Alright team, load up your gear!" Coach Alastair yelled.
"We have an hour drive boys! Get comfy, get in the zone, today is a big day!" Coach Briggs added.

The whole team loaded onto the bus with their large bags of gear, accompanied by many sticks. Each player sat anxiously on the bus, they were all so excited and nervous for this game.

Christopher noticed that Matthew was bouncing his leg nervously.

"You okay?" Christopher asked, he placed his hand on Matthew's knee.
"Yeah, I'm nervous. Could be our last game." He replied.
"We'll be okay." Christopher smiled.

They arrived at the rink. The whole team went to the locker room and changed for warmups. After warmups, they went back to the locker room. They all sat on the benches in wait of the lineup announcements.

"Alright team, starting lineup!" Coach Alastair said.

They all perked up.

"Starting for us tonight in the state champion playoffs: Oh captain my captain! Number 99, Christopher Hayes!"Coach Alastair started, the team began cheering. "Second fastest skater in the state, our Flash; Number 96, Matthew Grayson! Our E, Brutus himself; Number 21, Elliot Mikhailov! Our Sharpe Shooter, the sniper, her greatness; Number 22, Dylan Sharpe! And our great, quick skater; Number 33, Oliver Leroux!" She smiled.

The whole team cheered, their rowdiness grew.

"And on goal, our prized goalie; Number 56, Atticus Panchak!" Coach Alastair announced.

They all got hyped up, ready to go onto the ice. They lined up ready to skate around on the ice, ready for game time. Christopher did his before game ritual, they all did, it helped. Dylan, Elliot, Matthew, and Christopher huddled together.

"Ready?!" Christopher yelled. 
"Fuck yeah!" They replied.
"You ready!?" Matthew yelled.
"Fuck yeah!" They shouted.
"Then let's get this fucking win!" Dylan yelled.

They all hopped, jumping with excitement.

"Now introducing, our opponents for the state championship playoffs: The Lakewood Bears!"

They skated out, more excited than ever. Even if they lost, they'd celebrate until the sun came up. The team was fidgeting on the ice while they lined up for the national anthem.

The first period was underway; it was a rough period. Matthew was out-skating the competition, Christopher and Elliot were laying people out left and right, Dylan was trying to snipe but kept getting shut down.