seventy-eight : teen spirit

First day of Senior year

The boys had their first day of school today. This was the first year Matthew would drive to school, he was so excited. Christopher had mixed feelings about today. He didn't necessarily dislike or like school, he saw it as an obligation. However, this would be his last first day of school, he was getting older.

He was growing up.

Matthew couldn't wait to be on his own eventually, he wanted to explore the world. He had bigger dreams than anyone could see. He wasn't in any rush though. Christopher was mixed, he didn't know what he was going to do after high school. He didn't even know what he was going to do tomorrow. He had no reason to go to college or go crazy with his dreams, he liked playing hockey and that was it. He did want to move out and have adventures of his own, to have true independence. He wasn't in a rush though, he had everything he could've wanted, he just felt bad about leaving his mom at home alone.

Christopher begrudgingly got out of bed. He got up and left the house as quickly as he could. He began his slight lengthy commute to school.

Matthew was ecstatic, he always liked the excitement that came with the first day. He was just sad to see that it was his last one.

Matthew quickly gathered his things and rushed out to his car, he started it up. His phone immediately connected to his stereo and began playing his hype playlist.

*Now playing Call Me Little Sunshine by Ghost*

He slightly nodded his head as he backed out of the garage. He let the music fill his soul as he began senior year.

While in Christopher's car he was listening to something that was more him.

*Now playing Jet Airliner by Steve Miller Band*

He gently drummed on the steering wheel of his Impala. He couldn't be bothered to think about the future, right now it was him and his car. Christopher's music played as he flew down the mountain roads.

"Senior year Chris. Where'd the time go?" He sighed to himself as he looked into his rear view mirror.

Eventually the individual roads that the boys were on met. Christopher led, as he was nervous of Matthew's accidental speeding.

They pulled into the schools parking lot, Christopher leaning on his car as he waited for Matthew to back in. Matthew got out of the car, slinging his backpack over his shoulder.

"You drive like an old man you know that?" Matthew joked.
"Hey, you're the one who drives like he's in the Daytona 500." Christopher responded.

Christopher grabbed his school bag and put it on, followed by his hockey bag that he swung over his shoulder. He made sure his car was locked as did his boyfriend.

"Why is hockey gear so heavy?" Christopher said.
"I should've been something lighter, like a soccer player or something." Matthew sighed.

They struggled as they carried their bags to their lockers. Their lockers were next to each other as the lockers were assigned by last name and grade.

"Just shove me in here, let me out when hockey practice starts." Christopher sighed as he leaned his forehead against the locker door.
"What's the matter love?" Matthew asked.
"It's nothing, little stressed that I'm a senior and I have zero future plans." Christopher chuckled nervously.
"I have zero plans too, you'll figure it out when time comes." Matthew gave him a reassuring smile.
"Thanks, I'm just like really sad that this is my last year of hockey." Christopher sighed.
"Me too, we'll make it count though." Matthew smiled again.
"You're so insanely optimistic this morning." Christopher said.
"I happen to like the first day of school, the other days not so much." Matthew chuckled.