Breakdown

Y/N Y/L/N POV

"Friends with benefits." He answered.

Right.

Of course.

I was his friendly fuck buddy. Why would I even think I was more. All he's ever said was that he's wanted to fuck me for so long. Suddenly I'm supposed to be his and only his. Maybe I was expecting too much from him. Draco Malfoy doesn't do relationships and I'd be in over my head to think he would do something like that, and for me of all people. It's not like we opened up to each other ever in our years of friendship. Draco Malfoy was my best friend...with benefits.

Still, those words found a way to shatter my heart. My face began to burn as I hid them in the pillow in front of me. Tears crept up behind my eyes and I felt my body shrink.

I was one to always push unwanted emotions away. I learned a way to go numb in a snap during my parent's accident. To use humor to deflect unwanted feelings.

My scrunched face turned into a grin and my tears retraced themselves.

"Good." I giggled.

The laugh was laced with hidden rage and disappointment. Not the usual pure one I had.

"Great. So we're all clear then?" Draco cooed.

"Yep." I smiled as I sat back up and pushed the messed-up hair out of my face.

Draco was also smiling. I wanted nothing more but to slap that little smile off his perfect face. I felt the core of my arm start to vibrate in anger, but I hid that as well. My stomach was all balled up and I knew I had to get out of there before I did or say something I'd regret.

I got up and tried walking away, but Draco grabbed my arm and sat me down again.

"You need something?" I asked.

"No, but you don't seem alright." He noted.

I smiled and leaned into him, hugging him. Draco hugged me back.

"Trust me Draco. I'm fine." I lied.

He patted my head and we parted. I walked out of my room and headed to the Riddles'. I was going to check up on how Tom was doing.

-

I got to their dorm and knocked on the door. Nothing. Suddenly, I heard footsteps, but no one came to open the door.

"Tom? Are you in there?" I called out.

The footsteps got closer and the door crept open. It was only a few inches and only fingers popped out.

"What do you want Y/n." They let out.

It wasn't Tom. Mattheo.

"Er..do you know where Tom is?" I hesitated.

"Yea. In the chamber or something. He's making a potion or whatever." He answered.

"Ok. Thanks...are you ok?" I questioned.

"How about you stop being so noisy and keep your nose out of other people's business you mole." He insulted.

I took a step back and scoffed. Mattheo didn't sound like himself and his voice was puffy.

"Geese Mattheo. I was just checking up on you. I simply care about you." I went on.

I started to walk away when I heard a "Yea right," from behind me.

The door closed fully and I listened as his footsteps moved further away. I pulled out my wand and pointed it at the door handle.

"Alohomora." I cast.