Too Close

Tee's POV

I am sitting at the kitchen table staring blankly out into space. I can't seem to shake the mood I am in. Ice went home today. I was conflicted when I watched him be picked up by the lady he introduced as his housekeeper and his family driver. I watched as the pair of servants doted on Ice and the respect Ice showed both of them. Anyone could plainly see that these two people mean a lot to him and vice versa.

"Tee?" Dad says, shaking my shoulder.

"Huh?" I answer, looking up at him.

"Tee?" Dad sits next to me, "Are you OK? Where were you? I called you several times." Called me. Call?

"They never called," I say quietly, "Not once."

"Who?" My dad asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Ai'Ice's parents," I state.

"Son," My dad starts.

"Dad," I grumble, "I know other families are not like us, but their son was assaulted. Bad enough that he was sent to the hospital. How can you not check on him? At least once!"

"I don't know, Tee," My dad places a hand on my shoulder, "But we can't judge them."

"We can't?" I scoff, "If you were dealing with this as a case, what would your opinion be?"

"I can't look at it like that, Tee," Dad shakes his head.

"Dad," I frown, "I know you already have." My dad and I stare at each other for a moment before he caves.

"I would be worried about neglect," Dad admits, "N'Ice doesn't lack material things, but as for family..."

"He doesn't have one," I finish.

I don't know why this bothers me as much as it does, but I can't seem to get past this fact when I think of Ice. To the point that I didn't want to send him back.

"No, he doesn't," My dad agrees. After a moment of silence, I find my dad appraising me.

"What?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"Nothing," Dad chuckles, resting his hand on my shoulder again as he stands up. "You do know he just went home. He is still in Chang Mai. If you are worried about him, go and see him." My dad strolls out of the kitchen with a little snicker.

Standing in front of the gate, I ask myself why I am here. He left us four hours ago. What could happen in four hours when he is at home?

"Aren't you N'Tee?" A voice asks behind me, and I turn to find the driver from this morning coming out the side gate, "It is you." He smiles, walking over to me.

"Sawasdee khrap," I wai the older man.

"Did you come to see Khun Ice?" He asks, and I frown at the formality. Khun Ice? I understand the man's position, but... I growl, scratching my head.

"I am sorry," The driver apologizes, "I just assumed you were here to see the Master." I bite my tongue to keep myself from snapping at the man. He doesn't know why I am upset, and it is his job. Of course, he would address his employer in that manner.

"I am here to see, Ai'Ice," I tell him, and the smile that was slipping away returns the older man's face. They really do care about Ice.

"He is inside," The driver escorts me to the gate he came out. "Just go through there and to the door. P'Pla will let you in."

"Thank you," I say with a little wai. I follow the path indicated, and just as my dad said, Ice lacks for nothing materially. I gape when I turn the corner and see the pool. Damn. I walk over the water's edge and stand there a moment, looking around.