Family Portrait

Jett's POV

I sigh before I begin shoving my clothes in my bag. I can't believe I have to go home.

"N'Jett," Tutah's mom calls from the door, and I turn to find her holding a stack of folded clothes. "I found these." She smiles and walks over to place them in my bag. "I am sure there will be more." She reaches up and ruffles my hair, "I will collect them and send them back with Tutah."

"Hmm," I hum as I nod. I don't want to go home.

"I don't think I have ever thanked you," Tutah's mom says quietly. I turn to her, puzzled. What have I done that she needs to thank me?

"Huh?" I question.

"For loving my Tutah," She smiles, "Thank you for loving my son."

"You make it sound like I am making a sacrifice," I grumble, "P'Tutah is too good for me. He is smart and witty. He is loved by everyone who meets him."

"I know you are not making a sacrifice, N'Jett," She grins, "But what mom wouldn't be thankful for someone who loves their child." She looks down at my bag and frowns, "Who taught you how to pack, son?" I blink. Son? Did she just call me son? I watch as she pulls the clothes out and begins repacking my bag.

"Mom," I say hesitantly, making her stop and look up at me, "Thank you."

"About time," She laughs, "Din, did you hear?" She calls toward the door, and her sister steps into view.

"I heard," Aunty Din grumps. I can tell she is sulking.

"Aunty Din," I say, "One last picture?" The older woman perks up and runs back down the hall. I turn to her sister, confused.

"Just remember you asked for it," Tutah's mom chuckles. I look to the door when I hear a racket coming down the hall.

"Lin!!" Aunty Din shouts, "Where is Tutah?"

"Right here," I hear my boyfriend answer. "What are you up to?" I can hear the wariness in his voice, and considering the things we have caught his aunt doing, it is justified.

"Don't look at me like that," Aunty Din snaps, "Jetty said I could have one last picture before he leaves. So move your ass."

"She really does like you," Tutah's mom tells me, zipping my bag closed. "Let's go see what the old bat is up to this time."

"I like her too," I admit, "But she still scares me."

"Wise boy," Tutah's mom laughs.

We walk down the hall and out into the front courtyard. I am amazed to see Aunty Din setting up a camera on a tripod and ordering her nephew to move a bench over by a wall that is draped in flowers.

"I thought she would just want a selfie with me," I say, looking down at Tutah's mom.

"Me too," She shrugs, "But you never can predict that woman." Aunty Din spots her sister and pauses.

"Where is your good for nothing husband?" Aunty Din demands, "I told him to come outside when I got the camera."

"Good for nothing?" Tutah's dad comes out of the door. "What are you up to, Din Din?"

"You know I hate when you call me that," Aunty Din hisses, and I cover my mouth to hide a smile. This house is always so lively. I think that is what I will miss the most when I go home.

"Lin," Aunty Din calls, "You and good for nothing go sit on the bench." She sticks out her tongue at her brother-in-law, who only does it back. "Tutah and Jett go and stand behind them."