Traces Of Me

Tutah's POV

I shield my eyes as the light in my room flashes on and then off. What the hell?

"Stupid P'Bright," Jett grumbles beside me, and I look at him.

"Ai'Bright?" I question. Bright? Bright is at home with his parents. "He is at home," I tell my sleeping boyfriend.

"Then why did he just turn on the light?" Jett mumbles as he wraps himself around me. I jerk my head toward the door when I hear another door close down the hall.

Tapping Jett's shoulder, I tell him, "Let go. Something is wrong." Jett raises his head, looking at me, "Let go," I say again more firmly, and he releases me.

Getting out of bed, I head for the door when I hear my mom gasp, "Bright!" somewhere down the hall.

It is Bright. Stepping out of my room, I go down the hall and come face to face with Bright, and my heart drops. Walking over, I wrap my arms around my friend. I frown when I see bags and boxes outside our open door. Damn it. I feel Jett's hand on my back, and I turn to him.

"I will get his stuff," Jett tells me as he drops a quick on my cheek. "Mom," Jett goes on, "I will move this to..." Jett trails off, scratching the back of his head. Yeah, where will he move them? Aunty Din is in our spare room.

"Come with me, Jett," My mom says, giving me a look, "We will set him up in Din's studio out back. She won't mind." I pull back and look at Bright.

"What happened, Bright?" I ask, and he just shakes his head. "Is it N'Kammon?" I continue, but even I know this is not the cause. What I am seeing my boyfriend move looks like everything Bright owns. "Come on," I say, grabbing his hand and leading him back to my room.

I close the door as Bright takes a seat at my desk. What in the hell happened? That pile of stuff out there is not a typical Bright runaway plan. Every time he fought with his parents, he would always come here waiting for everything to cool down, but he never once showed up like this.

"What hap..," I start, and Bright cuts me off.

"No son of mine," Bright tells me, and I feel like someone has punched me in the stomach. Bright told his parents. He looks up at me with tear-stained cheeks and gives me a shrug. Fvcking hell! I hear Jett and my mom and step away from the door to sit on my bed.

"What do you mean, Bright?" I prod.

"I told them I was dating Kammon," Bright mumbles and takes a shuddering breath.

"When," I question. He couldn't have packed all of that in a day.

"When I got home," Bright tells me after taking another ragged breath. "My dad told me he would give me a week to think about what I was going to do." Bright snorts. "A week to decide my future." He looks at me with a wry smile.

"Bright," I say, concerned.

"No son of his," Bright repeats, "Well, I made that come true."

"Huh?" I ask, confused. "What do you mean?"

"I erased myself," Bright tells me, "I used this week to eliminate all traces of me." He gets up and walks over to the picture of us and picks it up, "Tomorrow morning, when they wake up, they will find they no longer have a son. Not one bit of me was left behind." He places the picture back on the shelf. "I even removed myself from all the pictures." He turns back to me, "They should have known better than to give me an ultimatum, Tutah." He stretches. "You think your mom would mind me crashing here for a bit?"

"Like you even have to ask," I assure my friend. "You know you are part of the family."

"Part of the family," Bright repeats.