This Is Not The Past

Tee's POV

"I am almost there," I growl into the phone.

Why did I agree to meet these guys in the first place? I haven't really hung out with them since I left for uni. Out of the three, only one of them went to university. I think the others either went to a vocational school or just got a job. It didn't surprise me. Neither of those two was good at school or even cared. My parents hated me being friends with them back then.

"What do you mean Rain is..." I pull the phone away when I hear Mek scream at Rain to stop. What the hell is going on? I round the corner and find Mek shouting at Rain and Nat to stop. Running over, I grab Rain's hand before he can hit the person on the ground once more.

"What the hell are you doing?" I demand as I shove Rain away. I look down at the guy on the ground and turn on Nat. "What the fvck?!?" I push both of them away and kneel next to the guy. "Are you OK?" I ask stupidly as he starts to cough up blood. I pat his back as he tries to clear his throat.

"Explain to me why you were attacking this person?" I snarl at the two. "You are not in High School anymore! You are fvcking adults!"

"He looked at me funny," Rain accuses, pointing at the guy beside me.

"What?" I gape, "Are you five? What kind of excuse is that for trying to kill someone?"

"I wasn't going to kill him," Rain scoffs, "I was just going to teach him a lesson." At that moment, the guy collapses with a groan.

"Call the police," I snap at Mek.

"What?" Mek hesitates, "Why?"

"Why do you think?" I hiss. I watch as Mek looks at the other two. "Forget it," I snarl, pulling out my phone. "Hello. I want to report..." Nat grabs my phone from me.

"What do you think you are doing?" Nat asks as he hangs up the call.

"I am reporting you," I snatch my phone back, "This is assault." I stand up and jab Nat in the chest, "Or did you think I would cover up for your ass. I am tired of bullies." I glance over at Rain, "He looked at you funny? I hope you have a better excuse when you explain this to the police."

"You won't call them," Rain steps in front of me. I know he is trying to intimidate me, and in the past, I probably would have backed down, but this is not the past. I notice a commotion behind him.

"I don't have to," I smile as two officers make their way through the crowd.

"Can someone please explain what happened here?" An officer I faintly recognize approaches, and his partner kneels next to the guy Rain and Nat attacked.

"When I came around the corner, Officer," I turn and point at Nat and Rain, "These two were attacking that man. Mek," I point at him, "Was trying to stop them. I was on the phone with Mek on the way here, and I believe they were attacking him for at least two blocks of time. I don't know if it was longer because I was only on the phone then, but considering Mek called me in a panic, I would assume it had been longer." Rain looks at me and spits on me.

"Hey, there," The officer steps in between us. "That was uncalled for. All three of you go stand over by that wall. Hands on your head." Nat and Rain glare at me.

"Fvcking police brat," Rain growls as he checks my shoulder. Yep. That is me. In the past, I hated being from a family of officers, but I have grown up since then.

"Damn straight," I sneer, "I am tired of stupid people like you thinking you can act like this and get away with it."

I look over at the officer assisting the victim, and I see something slip out of the victim's shirt that makes me stop. What are the odds? I step over and try to focus on it as it swings back and forth. It can't be. When it finally stops, my suspicion is confirmed.