eighty nine: disappointed

"hey, emily, j.j.," you said as you walked up to where they were standing as you closed the case file that you were looking at. j.j. was standing there, confused as emily looked over towards you.

"hey, _____," she said.

"everything okay?" you asked them, looking between them both. j.j. continued to stare down the walkway as emily answered for her.

"reid is supposedly hating j.j. now," she said as j.j. looked over towards you as you made eye contact with her.

"can you help me?" she asked you.

you looked down towards the file before responding to her. "how do you expect me to do that, j.j.? reid's a sensitive person, and this really took a toll on him. i'm not sure what you want me to do."

she looked over at you again. "you're his girlfriend, and probably the only person who can get into his head at times like this. you remember when you helped him during the whole thing with gideon leaving us and everything with his mom."

you looked back down towards the case file before making eye contact with them once more.

"i'll see what i can do," you told her before walking past them and towards the conference room where you found reid and morgan.

when you walked in, you set the case file next to morgan as he looked up at you.

"what the hell is this?" he asked as you gave him a smile, crossing his arms over his chest.

"it's the case you asked me to get," you told him.

"there's no way you got it," he muttered as he opened it to see the information on everything, including the photos, victims, and descriptions of the dump sites and abductions. "holy hell, _____. this is incredible."

"i know that you did this just to see if i could prove myself so i'll be taking it back tomorrow," you told him. "or you could do it since i got it."

"okay, okay," he muttered with a smile as he shut the file and watched you go sit down in your seat next to reid. as you sat back in the chair, you looked over at him.

he was staring aimlessly towards your hand that was messing with a pen on the table. you looked back up to his eyes as he made eye contact with you. you nodded, setting down the pen, and putting your hand down beneath the table. be gratefully took it in his as you felt the tense in his body ease up.

"what's going on with you, spence?" you asked him softly as he kept his grip on your hand. his eyes softened when they landed on yours as you cocked your head, trying to get an answer from him.

"we'll talk about it later," he said to you as you nodded, noticing that j.j. and emily walked in following rossi and garcia before hotch finally joined.

all throughout the entire reading of the case, reid didn't want to let go of your hand. you could feel it in the grip that he had on you.

"okay, wheels up in thirty," hotch said after the reading of the case was finished. when you stood up, you let go of his hand to put away your stuff as reid stayed sitting in his seat.

"you okay?" you asked him, observing how he was sitting and looking up at you. "reid?" you asked.

"she didn't tell me once that she wasn't dead," reid muttered as he kept his eye contact with you. you continued putting away papers. "it's like she wanted me to suffer."

you put away the final picture as you handed it to him. he took it, putting it in his bag as he stood up and put it on. you looked up at him.

"spence," you said softly. "she lied to all of us, not just you." you told him sweetly as you observed what he was going to do.