thirty nine: breakup

i hate these ones tbh. like they're fun to write but i hate breakups. but doesn't everyone???
-

it had been about twenty one hours since you and reid had broken up. it wasn't anything terrible. you two had a talk about it and you both expressed some things.

it was mature and respectful.

besides, you two were still super close on the team and did practically everything together in groups. you both played it off normally throughout that day.

however, that night when you got a call in, you were frustrated because you were still upset. all you wanted to do was try and get reid back.

you missed him dearly.

so, not so eagerly throwing on your outfit, you got ready and grabbed your keys. you hit the road to the b.a.u. office building.

-
"where's ____?" hotch asked as everyone sat in the conference room. garcia was ready to present and tell the crime when you burst into the room.

you took a seat, trying to dry your hair off from the storm that was occurring outside. it was a horribly, rainy night.

"why are you late, ____?" hotch asked.

"does it matter?" you snapped, sitting back in the chair as reid looked over at you in curiosity and confusion.

you looked up at hotch, noticing he had his gaze fixated on you.

"sorry, sir. i'm just really stressed with some personal issues," you said quickly before looking down at your tablet.

hotch nodded to garcia, keeping an eye on during the entire case file study.

-
"____, may i speak with you for a moment?"

you looked up from your computer as you logged out, walking up to hotch's office and shutting the door behind you.

morgan was also in the room with hotch. prentiss was sitting in a chair nearby.

"what caused you to snap so immediate?" he questioned you.

you felt the pull of your heart in multiple areas.

"personal reasons, sir."

he raised a brow, causing you to swallow thickly. god, you missed reid so much and you just wanted him back.

"fine," you began. morgan and prentiss kept their eyes fixated on you the entire time. "reid and i broke up yesterday."

morgan stood up immediately.

"wait? you and the genius are over?"

"seems pretty obvious, doesn't it?" you snapped. you watched his face contort into confusion.

sleepily, you put your face in your hands before letting go and running them messily through your hair.

"sorry," you said once again.

"we just can't let this get in the way of this case, ___. i hope you can understand that," hotch said. you nodded.

"i know, sir. i won't let it."

he nodded, grabbing his bag.

"good. wheels up in fifteen minutes."

he left his office, leaving you in the room with prentiss and morgan who both kept staring at you.

you hated the feeling of reid not being next to you at this time of the hour.

"god," you said softly, wiping the running tears that led trails down your cheeks. morgan looked at you.

"i never would've guessed," he spoke.

your watery eyes looked up at him.

"what?"

he shook his head.

"i never would've guess that you would've been this heartbroken over reid. i always assumed he'd be more heartbroken than-" he stopped as reid walked into the room.

"____, can we talk?" he asked.

you turned around, trying to conceal the fact that you had been crying but it didn't go so well.

"yeah, of course," you said to him.

he took you out into the hallway outside of hotch's office as he put his hands in his pockets.

"this is about me, isn't it?"

you didn't leave his eye contact but you bit your lip harder to stop tears from coming out.

"reid, i have to admit this to you because i can't lie to you. i could never lie to you. but even if you don't accept it, i have to say it."

he nodded, urging you to continue.

"i love you," you blurted out.

you watched through your wet eyelashes to see if he accepted it at all. all you could see was a small smile on his lips.

"what?" you asked.

"i just," he paused. "i love you too. wow i've never said that to anyone before in my life except my mom. did you know that-"

you stopped him, pressing your lips to his as you stood on your tiptoes to reach him.

"why did we break up?" you asked him.

"because we thought one of us didn't love the other when clearly," he stopped, wrapping his arms around you. "that wasn't the case."