forty: almost gone

"____, you need to stay with us," the medic said as you tried to blink back the bright, white lights that seemed to blind you. everything was spinning.

"move her to the table now," you heard another medic say. you moved your head, noticing many doctors surrounding you.

they put a mask over your face, getting the anesthesia to your body as it began to make you lose the feelings in your fingers.

all you could see was bloody towels and cloths everywhere while doctors tried to put pressure on the wounds and use tools to remove anymore parts of the wooden stake.

"we're losing her!" a doctor yelled.

you saw yourself being lifted by the hand, no longer in the doctor's room. your mom was right in front of you.

"mom?"

"it's not your time, honey. it's not your time," she said before letting go. you slowly woke up to see the doctor standing above you, all of them still working to finish bandaging you
up.

"it's not your time, honey," one of the female doctors told you as she waited for the last doctor to bandage you up.

"it's time for you to get some rest."

-
when you woke up the next morning, you were laying in a hospital bed. you felt so tired still from the medicine being in your system as you stared over at the figure standing by the door.

"morgan, you were never one to creep up on people," you told him with a laugh. he chuckled, walking in the room as j.j., hotch, garcia, prentiss, and rossi all walked in.

you gave them all a sleepy smile.

"hey, guys," you told them.

prentiss came over and stood next to you, giving you a smile.

"you know, we lost you for a minute there," she told you. your eyes found hers as you furrowed your brows in confusion.

"what?"

"they revived you, but you did die for a split second," she told you. "it's nothing to worry about now because you're safe."

you nodded, gripping the blankets a little but let loose when garcia walked over to your bedside.

"do not ever do that to me again," she demanded. you laughed as she collected you in a small hug.

when she let go, you let out a sigh.

"reid," you told them. "where's reid?"

j.j. spoke up now.

"he's on his way back. he went back to the b.a.u. because he couldn't stand to see what might've happened to you," she explained.

"____?"

you looked up, seeing reid standing at the door. you wanted to stand up and wrap him in your arms and he got the message, coming over and embracing you in his hold.

you held on tightly to him, keeping your face buried in the crook of his neck.

"you were nearly gone, ____."

you nodded, gripping onto him tighter.

"i know," you said. "but i'm here now and so are you. can you, uh, can you stay the night with me please?"

he nodded. "of course. anything for you."

everyone on the team smiled, some conversing lightly amongst themselves.

-
it was later that night.

you had finally gotten to sleep, your hand loosely holding onto reid's while you were both pressed tightly against each other because of the size of the bed. reid's cheek was resting on the top of your head while you both peacefully slept.

you suddenly sat up in a jolt, grabbing your chest as you tried to slow your breathing. you felt tears rolling down your cheeks, but you didn't bother to wipe them away.

"___, what's wrong? what happened?" reid asked you gently as he sat up. you didn't want to let your eyes off the door.

he got the message and pulled you back into his grasp, holding onto you tightly while he rested his cheek on the top of your head again.

"he can't hurt you anymore," he told you. "i won't let the son of a bitch get close to you."