He's Not You ~ Cole Swindell

Requested by Brittney_Hook

Soft music mixed with several voices carried over the wind to where I was currently rushing around the side of my best friend's house, trying to avoid tripping over something in the dark. Bursting into the backyard, I quickly scanned the area for Cole. Some of my other friends caught sight of me and chuckled at what I can only assume looked like a windswept, frantic mess. I smiled at them, which only caused them to chuckle more, and moved further into the yard, still searching for Cole. As soon as I spotted him, I dashed over and wrapped my arms around his neck. In jumped in surprise, but settled as he turned and saw that it was me, "Where have you been?"

I unwrapped myself from him and pulled a deck chair next to him, "Sorry, I lost track of time." He smiled at me, pushing his chair closer to mine. I took the chance to swipe his drink from his hand and took a large sip.

Cole stares in disbelief before grabbing the cup back from me, "Get your own!" I laughed as he swatted at me playfully, "How do you lose track of two hours?"

I shrugged, "I don't know." I looked around the party once before my eyes landed on Cole again, "I was on this date and it ran a little long." Cole smile fell and he seemed to grow smaller as he rubbed his neck.

"A date?" I nodded and he forced a smile back onto his face, "I didn't realize you were seeing anyone." He cleared his throat and looked down at the patio table.

"Yeah, his name is Chase and it's only been a week, but he's a good guy." Cole nodded, but he wouldn't meet my eyes. Leaning forward, I placed my hand on Cole's arm, "Are you okay?"

Cole nodded as he finally looked at me, "Yeah. I'm happy for you, Mika." Another forced smile graced his lips, "You deserve a good guy." His hand enclosed mine and I smiled at him.

~

The next week had been spent going out with Chase and continuing to get to know him. He is a good guy and fun to be around, but there was something missing from our dates. I had tried to get advice from Cole, but he seemed to pull away anytime I brought Chase up in conversation. It made me wonder if he was somehow angry with me and that thought hurt. I missed our talks and I missed Cole's smile. When I was around him, my heart felt light and I was comfortable. "Oh." That's what was missing with Chase. Comfort. I grabbed my phone from the coffee table and pulled up Chase's contact.

~

It had been a few days since my talk with Chase when there was a sudden knocking on my door.  I jumped up from my couch and went to the front door, checking the peephole to see Cole standing there, looking nervous. I quickly pulled the door open and ushered my best friend inside. He came in slowly, making his way to my living room and sitting on the edge of the couch. I smiled over at him, "Can I get you anything?"

He shook his head, "No." He looked up at me, "Mika, I just came here to tell you something and then I'll get out of your hair." I nodded for him to continue and he took a deep breath, "This is completely selfish and I'm sorry, but I can't keep this to myself." He started to ring his hands together, "I know you're with that Chase guy, but..." He shook his head, quickly getting to his feet. He started pacing and I smiled gently at him.

"Go on, Cole." He stopped pacing and looked at me. I nodded to him and he took a steadying breath.

"I love you." His shoulders deflated as he moved closer, "I've loved you for a long time and I know I should have told you sooner and I know I'm a jerk and you have every right to be mad at me, but please don't throw out our friendship." He stopped in front of me, a pleading look in his eyes. It was quiet and I could tell that the silence was getting to him, so I grabbed his shaking hands.

"Can I tell you something?" Cole nodded and I smiled at him, "I broke up with Chase." Cole looked surprised and he opened his mouth to say something, but I kept going, "There was something that didn't feel right between us and I realized..." Cole looked at me expectantly as I suddenly grew nervous. I took a small step backwards, looking at the floor. Cole squeezed my hands and I looked back at him, "I realized that I don't want to be with him because he's not you." Cole stared at me as I nodded, "I love you too, Cole." A grin broke out on his face as he pulled me into his arms, rocking us back and forth. I laughed as he pulled away and hastily pressed his lips to mine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks so much to everyone for reading and voting. Hope you all enjoy this one. Requests are still open and the list is short. Thanks again!