Hospital Pep Talk ~ Brett Young

Requested by WritingsByKay

I sighed as I pushed my head farther into the pillow behind my head. I could hear people bustling about outside of the curtain that surrounded the bed I was on. There were several voices, beeps of various machines, and that smell that lingered in the air of all hospitals. I tried to drown it all out as I replayed the game over and over again in my mind. I was rounding third, heading straight for home plate. I had no idea where the ball was, but my coach waved me on, so I pushed myself to run faster. I was so close when the catcher moved forward and I slammed into her body. I could feel my foot get caught as I was stopped and my knee twisted awkwardly. I squeezed my eyes shut as I remembered the pain that had coursed three my leg when I had hit the dirt. At that moment it felt like everything was turned to 10 and I could feel every grain of dirt under me. I remember rolling over, clutching my knee and trying to hold back a cry of pain. I don't know how long it was before my team rushed over to me. My coach had pushed them out of the way, that I was sure of, and I the medical trainer quickly examined and deemed me worthy of an ambulance ride.

I scoffed and crossed my arms. I hated lying in this hospital bed. It felt like I had been here for days, but I knew it had only been a few hours. Suddenly there was a commotion outside of the curtain and then it was pushed open. I sat up quickly to be greeted with the cautious smile of my boyfriend. I laid back down as Brett moved closer to my bedside. He looked down at my leg that was propped up, "What happened, baby?"

"I tore my ACL." I saw him grimace, but as quick as it had come, it was gone and he was smiling again.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there."

I shook my head, "It's okay. You wouldn't have been able to stop it."

Brett pushed some hair behind my ear, "No, but at least you wouldn't have been alone."

"I'm fine." Brett nodded and a silence fell over us. He knew that I would talk when I was ready and he didn't need to push me. His hand travelled down to my jaw before his hand fell to his side. I felt tears well up in my eyes, so I turned my face away from him, "The doctor said it was a really bad tear. I have to have surgery to fix it." I felt the wetness on my cheeks, so I wiped it away quickly. I turned back to Brett, "What if I can't play anymore?"

Brett grabbed my hand, "You don't know how the recovery is going to be. This happens all the time and people go back to their regular routines with no problems. Even athletes."

More tears fell as I stared up at him, "But what if-"

He shushed me and pressed a kiss to my forehead, "Don't think like that. You're gonna have the surgery and you're gonna be fine." I sighed, but Brett only smiled, "You're gonna be back on the field in no time, Kels."

I pulled my hand from his, "You don't know that!" Brett only stared at me as I waved my arms around, "What if I never get to play again?! What am I going to do without softball?" I stopped trying to hold back my tears and they came with a vengeance. They continually rolled down my cheeks as I tried to wipe them away, but it was no help. They wouldn't stop. Brett sat on the edge of the bed and pulled me into his chest.

I cried into his shirt for a good twenty minutes before he pulled away slightly and looked down at me, "Listen, we don't know what's going to happen, but we do know that I'm not leaving your side and that no matter what happens, I'm not going anywhere. I will help you figure out whatever you want to do after you recover. Okay?"

I nodded, "Okay."

Just then the curtain was pulled back and the surgeon was standing in front of us, "Alright, Kelsey, ready for your surgery?" I looked at Brett and he gave me a reassuring smile.

Squeezing his hand, I nodded and turned back to the doctor, "Yes." Brett gave me one last smile as I was wheeled down the hall and around the corner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So I tweaked the plot a little bit after I did some research on ACL tears. I hope that's okay. Thanks for reading!