101. The Chef's Basic Skills

"Congratulations on passing the first assessment," Senior Zheng smiled and wore a small badge on Gu Bai's chest.

Since Gu Bai passed the first test smoothly and calmly, Senior Zheng couldn't help thinking that Gu Bai was a good student. He even thought of having Gu Bai as his disciple later.

If Zhou Xingchu had any idea what Senior Zheng was thinking right now, he might fight against the latter.

"Next is the second test about the chefs' basic skills. I'll be in charge." As Senior Zheng went back to his seat, Senior Du stood up while staring at Gu Bai smilingly.

The first test was more about theoretical knowledge, while the second one was about operational skills.

As a chef, one must have solid basic skills at least.

The basic skills of a chef included knife control, pan control, fire control, pan turning, starching, precise seasonings, etc. If the chefs failed to control any of the above, they wouldn't be qualified to win the certificate and be real chefs.

In this world, however, the chefs were only required to master knife control, pan control, and precise seasonings because advanced technology had helped them control the fore precisely.

Pan turning was also expelled from the standards because people mainly fried or boiled food in the interstellar era, so they rarely turn the pans.

"You can choose any materials to show your basic skills. About knife control, you need to julienne the material thin and even. Remember, each product should be no more than three millimeters. As for pan control, you should guarantee that the material should be heated and seasoned evenly. Also, you have to add the seasonings in time so that the flavor can be enriched at the best." Senior Du mentioned the requirements carefully.

Gu Bai was determined to win the test because these requirements were more simplified than those on earth. Any chef on earth could finish these tests easily.

For example, the knife control test used to include julienne, dice, slice, and cut things, among which julienne things was the most basic skill required.

However, it was already lucky that people in the interstellar era could keep these traditions when the cultural dislocation was serious.

[It sounds so difficult. Three millimeters? Thin and even? That's so difficult.]

[I always cut the ingredients casually. Actually, the vegetables have their ideas on how to shape themselves. You know, my mom always asks me whether I cube them or slice them. She can't even tell from my results.]   

[To tell the truth, even the chefs in the restaurants can't cut them evenly and perfectly. I remember I had a meal in Jin Liang Chi once and ordered a Vinegar-Pepper Shredded Potatoes. The chef cut them nicely, but I could still tell the difference.]

[I'm worried about the young man. One can not be as skillful as the rules require without a dozen years of practicing. How old is he? I'm afraid he hasn't practiced enough even if he has been learning the skills since young.]

[If it were Xiaobai, he had no problem with knife control. You have no idea how tiny he cut the potatoes. That's fantastic.]

[Ahem. Sorry, guys. The new fa doesn't understand the rules well. I'll take her back for further tutoring Go ahead.]

Since Shen Liangxu's fans had said a lot to refute Xiaobai's fans, Xiaobai's fans didn't even dare to mention his name on the public screen. They weren't afraid of the previous group. On the contrary, they only did this because they weren't sure whether the person was Xiaobai. Therefore, they wouldn't do anything that might disgrace him.