Sunrises: Both Realities and Metaphors

in which harper breaks up with her current boyfriend and needs someone to talk to early in the morning....only to confess her feelings during their heartfelt ride. 

*************

Griffin stepped out onto the Tremont porch, not looking very amused. His hair was a mess, his greenish brown eyes were droopy, and he still had pajama pants on and threw on a tee shirt. 

"Yes?" His sleepy voice shone through. Harper smiled widely at her best friend. 

"Did you get my voice mail?" Harper asked brightly. 

"Voicemail?" Griffin questioned. 

"Never mind then. No wonder it looks like you just woke up." Harper shrugged. 

"Well I don't tend to be awake at four in the morning." Griffin mumbled grumpily. Harper chuckled at his sour face. 

"I know its four AM, but I did try to tell you I was coming over." She shrugged, defending herself. 

"You did?" Griffin asked. 

"Yeah, I gave you like, fifteen minutes notice." Harper shrugged. Griffin rolled his eyes. "Hey, that's more warning than I usually give you." 

"Ain't that the truth. But why, Harper, why?" Griffin complained, falling asleep in mid air. 

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. But its an emergency." Harper stated. Griffin rose his head, sleepiness dissipating slightly. 

"Is everything okay? Are you alright, Harper?" Griffin worried, looking her up and down, making sure she wasn't hurt. 

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just couldn't sleep, and I'm running off of caffeine." Harper explained with a light shrug. Griffin's face fell. 

"You had me worried for a second." He mumbled. 

"Annnnd, I broke up with my boyfriend." Harper shrugged, looking away from the boy. Griffin's eyes rose to meet Harper's dark brown ones once more. 

"Wait what?" Griffin asked, worriedly. 

"Mitch and I just didn't work out." Harper sighed. Griffin nodded slowly, unsure of how to respond. He had never liked the boy, or the way he treated Harper, but it hurt him to see Harper upset. 

"Are you alright?" He asked. She didn't look at him. He set his hand on her arm. "Harp." 

Her face heated up as she lifted her head to look at him. 

"I'm fine, I could just use some company." Harper pouted. 

"Harper...." Griffin complained. 

"I need you, please. Please, please!" She gave him the puppy dog eyes. Griffin could never say no to that. Harper rarely used them, and when she did, they were hella effective due to her gorgeous brown eyes. Griffin sighed against his will. 

"Get in the car." He stated bluntly. Harper squealed and jumped up and down. 

"Than you, guitar god!" Harper exclaimed. 

"Don't mention it.....ever." Griffin joked. 

They climbed into the car, Griffin getting comfy in the passenger seat, Harper sliding into the driver's seat and pulling out of the long, winding, Tremont driveway. 

They were silent for the first couple minutes of the ride as they looked at the dark sky, the sun not yet awakening. 

"So....what happened between you and Mitch the Bitch?" Griffin asked, looking out the window. *trademarked by AJSwagmire*