Late Night

Griffin and Harper are dating. They're having a sleepover, and Harper wakes up and realizes that Griffin is having a panic attack. She doesn't know what it's about, but she comforts him nonetheless. 

Harper slept soundly until she was awoken by a small, weak sounding whimper. She rolled over to see her boyfriend, Griffin Campbell lying on the bed next to her, shaking and crying. 

"Griff?" Harper asked. 

Griffin looked over at Harper with fear in his eyes. 

She wasn't supposed to know. She wasn't supposed to know what I'm going through. Griffin thought. 

"Harper, um, everything's fine. Just go back to sleep." Griffin reasoned. 

"No way Griffin. What's going on, what's happening? Are you okay?" Harper fired questions at him, not knowing that he was having a panic attack. Griffin clamped his eyes shut as his breathing got shallow. Harper realized that he was getting uncomfortable and she reached out to gently touch his shoulder. Griffin looked up at her with teary eyes. 

"Please Griff. What's going on?" Harper asked, more gently this time. 

"I-It-It's a p-panic attack H-harper." Griffin said, looking down shyly. 

"Oh.." Harper said, finally realizing. She knew she had to be more gentle for him. She sat up with him. 

"Can I touch you, or do you need space?" Harper asked delicately. 

"It's fine." Griffin said. 

Harper wrapped her arm around his shoulder as he laid his head on her shoulder. 

"Take my hand." Harper said, offering her hand to her poor, helpless boyfriend. He gratefully took Harper's hand and she began stroking delicate circles on the back of his. 

"How long has this panic attack been going on?" Harper asked. 

"20 minutes now." Griffin said, looking down. 

"You went on for that long baby? Next time, wake me up. Let me know what's going on. I love you." Harper told him. Griffin nodded. 

"Let's take some deep breaths. Ready, follow my voice. In....out....in....out..... Good." Harper had Griffin follow her voice. 

"I wish I could help you more. All I have are my words and hands. Not really the correct tools to fight of panic attacks." Harper joked. Griffin showed a half smile. 

"There's a smile." Harper said rubbing his back. 

...........

They took a few more deep breaths together. 

"How are you doing?" Harper asked. 

"Good." Griffin answered sincerely. 

"Good, good. How's your chest?" Harper asked. 

"Not as tight as it was before." Griffin said. 

"Good. Do you want some water?" Harper asked. 

"Sure." Griffin answered with a nod. 

Harper rubbed his back before tiptoeing out of the room. She quietly walked into the kitchen where she poured him a glass of cold water. She took it upstairs and handed Griffin the glass.

"Take slow sips Griff." Harper instructed. 

A few minutes later, Griffin finished his glass of water. 

"The color is back in your face." Harper noticed. Griffin nodded. 

"Do you want some more water? Or food? I mean, it's never too late for ice cream, right?" Harper joked. 

Griffin chuckled. Harper smiled. 

"Only you would find a way to turn this into a midnight snack Harp." Griffin joked. 

"Well, at least I know you're okay. If you're making fun of me, then you're fine." Harper laughed. Griffin smiled. Then, Griffin's face fell. Harper raised and eyebrow. 

"I'm sorry." He said sadly. 

"For what?" Harper asked. 

"For waking you up in the middle of the night with MY troubles." Griffin said apologetically. 

"Oh Griffin. Do you know why I did it?" Harper asked.

"Why?" He asked. 

"Take a guess." Harper instructed. 

"Cause I'm adorable." Griffin said, making a face and chuckling. 

Harper laughed. 

"That too. But it's because I love you and I want you to feel safe all the time. I love you, and will always continue to love you. You can't do anything to ever change that." Harper said, while staring into the beautiful brown eyes that she'd become accustomed to. 

"I love you too." Griffin said. 

They kissed gently and then fell asleep snuggling in each other's arms.