The Not So Graceful Figure Skater

in which griffin goes to his girlfriend harper's figure skating competition and she has a bad fall. 

**************

It was a chilly winter afternoon in Sulphur Springs, Louisiana. Griffin was sitting on the bleachers in front of the skating rink at the Sulphur Springs community center. It was officially competition season. 

When Griffin had moved to Sulphur Springs, little did he know that four short years later, the girl that had kicked open his locker on the first day of school was now his best friend, the love of his life. But what he also hadn't known originally, was that Harper was an amazing figure skater. 

He'd been going to her competitions for about three years now, and Harper's graceful routines never failed to amaze him. She was so beautiful (on and off the ice), but as he watched Harper glide across the shiny surface, he always felt himself smile. She really truly was amazing. 

He sat down in between his twin siblings, Zoey and Wyatt as they reached across the teen boy, stealing each other's snacks. Griffin chuckled to himself as he watched them banter. Ben and Sarah sat behind their kids, eagerly awaiting the competition to begin. 

Soon enough, Jess and Topher excitedly approached the Campbell family. 

"You guys came!" Jess exclaimed happily, hugging Sarah and smiling at Ben. 

"Of course we did! Its the first competition of the season! Why wouldn't we?" Sarah responded excitedly. The Dunn's sat down and they all made small talk until the announcer began. 

***********

It was only 20 minutes into the competition when Harper's number was announced. Everyone went silent. Everybody in Sulphur Springs and really all of New Orleans knew who Harper Dunn was. Everyone was excited to see Harper's newest, magnificent performance. 

She performed beautiful tricks, stunning leaps, graceful spins. It was amazing. Griffin thought she looked incredible on the ice. He smiled as he looked around the rink. Everybody was stunned. They were captivated, and couldn't take their eyes off of Harper. 

But all good things must come to an end. (can you guys tell this is my new favorite phrase right now lol!). 

She was doing her most difficult trick yet. The Lutz jump. 

The second most difficult ice skating trick possible. (Yes, I did my research!) 

Everyone's eyes widened as they watched Harper gracefully, soar through the air like an untamed bird. 

It was beautiful....until it wasn't. 

She flutzed her Lutz. (Yes, I looked it up, this is what it is actually called when you fail this jump). 

She landed on her back, her head slamming hard beneath her, before skidding across the ice. A gasp went through the crowd. She wasn't getting up. 

"Motherf-" Griffin muttered, quickly getting up, Jess on his heels as he sprinted towards the gate to the rink. 

They were both stopped by security. Her coach and the announcer and judges were all in the rink by her side. Jess was panicking, Griffin felt tears sting his eyes. 

She still hadn't gotten up. 

Minutes later, sirens were heard. Paramedics pushed through Griffin and Jess and made their way to Harper's side. Jess sneaked past security and made her way towards Harper's side. 

Griffin tried to as well but the security guard pushed him back. Some tears fell. 

"Go back to your seat, kid." The guard demanded. 

"Asshole." Griffin sniffled as he walked back to his seat. Everyone was on the edge of their seats. Would their star be okay? 

************

A few hours later Griffin was pacing back and forth, breathing heavily. Harper wasn't doing too good. She had landed on her head, and she had a major concussion. They ran some tests, and knew she'd be okay, thank God, but she would have to stay at least overnight and her condition at the moment wasn't great. 

"Griff, honey, sit down." Sarah said warmly to her son who was still pacing around the room. 

"I wanna go see her, mom." Griffin stated. Sarah could see the anxiety shining through in her sons green eyes. She knew he was terrified. She stood up and hugged her first born, rubbing his back. Harper did the same thing whenever he was anxious or upset. Just thinking about this made Griffin start to cry. 

"Honey, she'll be okay, but right now, she just needs time with the doctors. You'll be allowed to go see her soon, but not right now, so have a seat and breathe, sweetie." Sarah reaffirmed. He sighed and wiped the tears from his face, sitting next to his mother. 

He bounced his leg up and down nervously, and stole scared glances as Harper's door every five seconds. 

Please be okay. I can't lose you! Griffin thought, biting back the urge to cry again. 

***********

Griffin had patiently waited for two hours. Eventually, Mrs. Dunn walked out of the room, smiling at the boy. 

"Harper'd like to see you, kiddo." She chuckled lightly. Griffin's face lit up and he burst into the room. 

"Harper!" He yelled, running to her side. 

"Griffy.....hey." Harper smiled, her eyes barely open. Griffin's face fell slightly. 

"You okay?" He asked, worriedly. 

"Yeah, I'm fine, just really tired and I'm in a little bit of pain." Harper replied honestly, shutting her eyes. 

"Do you want me to go? I can let you get some rest and I'll come back." Griffin offered. She shook her head lightly. 

"No, I want you." She pouted slightly. He pulled his lips into a smile. He grabbed her hand and rubbed calming circles into the palm. "Was my performance bad?" 

"What?" Griffin asked, confused. 

"My performance. Before I fell, was it bad?" Harper asked, tears welling up in her eyes. Griffin's face fell as he witnessed her reaction. 

"No, love. You could never be bad. It was glorious, and don't worry, nobody cared about the Lutz, everybody was just worried, hoping that you'd be okay. And you are, so everything's fine." Griffin reassured. Some tears escaped her eyes. 

"When will I be able to skate again?" Harper sniffled. 

"Hopefully soon, love, but for now, you need to do what the doctor tells you and rest up. You need to get better so that you can skate again." Griffin smiled. She nodded. 

"I'm tired." She stated bluntly. Griffin's features softened. 

"I'm not going anywhere, love, take a nap and I'll be right here when you wake up." Griffin assured. 

"You promise?" Harper pouted. 

"Of course, Harp, I'll be right here." Griffin stated honestly, kissing her on the forehead. Her eyes drifted shut and she rested. 

Griffin smiled at his pretty girlfriend, knowing that she'd be just fine.

**********

hope you guys enjoyed! it was a little on the shorter side, but I hope it was good nonetheless. also, if you guys have any suggestions for me, I'd love to hear them! I love you all and would like to thank every single one of you for all the support! love you guys, stay golden! <3 

WORD COUNT: 1149