Wish I Could Move On

Harper was stuck in the future. She went to her house in 2024 and watched as Topher aimlessly sat on the couch staring into space. Then she went to the diner. She watched as future her got yelled at by her mom as she worked hard. Then later, she saw Griffin at homecoming. She watched as he walked in, getting stopped by a pretty girl. 

"Hey Griffin." The girl greeted. 

"Sup." He muttered. 

"You look great! Harper's probably kicking herself for missing out tonight." The girl spoke flirtatiously. 

"I wouldn't know. She's out of my life. For good." He stated bluntly. The girl sent him an apologetic smile as he walked into the school, head down as he walked. 

Harper walked in and wandered around the halls (much to Sam's displeasure). Around a corner, she spotted Griffin and a group of boys his age leaning against some lockers. 

"You know, dude, you could join the party." A boy offered, putting a nice hand on Griffin's shoulder. 

"Come on, Campbell, live a little. Just because of what happened, it doesn't mean your  life is over." Another boy said. 

"Yeah, Griff, you never go out, go enjoy the party." Another guy offered. 

"I'm here, aren't I?" Griffin muttered. 

"So's your girlfriend, bro." A boy walked over and leaned against a nearby locker. 

"Girlfriend?" Griffin asked confusedly. 

"He doesn't have a girlfriend, Tyson. Not since Harp-" A boy from before began. 

"I don't even wanna hear her name, Drew." Griffin cut him off. Harper bit back tears. What did she do to him that was so awful? He didn't even wanna hear her name? 

"Well she's here." Tyson said bluntly. 

"What? Harper Dunn? She's here, right now?" Griffin asked, growing angry. Tyson nodded and Harper tried to walk down the hall quickly but Griffin's scoff stopped her. "You don't take a hint, do you?" 

"Griffin." Harper stated. 

"How many times do I have to tell you, our relationship is over. I don't wanna see you anymore!" Griffin yelled. 

"What did I do?" Harper asked, nearing tears. She noticed that Griffin's eyes were teary as well.

"You know what you did, so don't pretend. Its so easy for you to move on, forget, to not think about what happened. Well I think about it, every single day. You clearly haven't gotten the message, so let me dumb it down for you. We're done, Harper. I don't want you in my life anymore. So just leave me alone!" Griffin shouted. His loud voice echoed through the empty hallways. Tears were now streaming down his face and the boys from before were grouped behind him, looking at him with apologetic looks. He wiped the tears from his eyes and stormed into the boys' restroom. 

"Griff, wait!" Harper called out. The boys stepped forward. 

"Get lost, Dunn." Tyson said. 

"No one wants you here, bitch." Drew said meanly. She sniffled and ran out. 

She ran into Sam, crying. 

"I talked to him!" Harper cried. 

"Didn't I tell you not to talk to him?" Sam asked sternly. 

"This is not the time to play the 'Sam was right' game!" Harper sobbed. Sam's features softened and he pulled Harper in for a gentle hug. 

"I'm sorry, Harp." He comforted. 

"What did I do to him? Why does Griffin hate me so much?" Harper cried. 

"I'll show you." Sam sighed. 

**********

After a little ways walk, they arrived at the hospital. Harper saw Wyatt laying in a hospital bed, comatose. Sarah and Zoey cried by the bed. 

"You should've seen Griffin leaving for the dance. All grown up, so handsome." Sarah cried. 

"You would've made some witty remark though." Zoey forced a chuckle. 

"Come back to us, baby!" Sarah cried. Zoey grabbed the boys hand and sobbed. 

**********

Harper finally settled down as her and Sam sat in front of the burning Tremont. She smiled brightly as Griffin and Savannah bounded up. 

"Harper!" Griffin exclaimed happily. He gave her a tight hug and Harper smiled. It felt good to be in his arms again. 

"Hey, Griffin." Harper said, with a forced smile. He looked at her confusedly. 

"What's wrong?" He asked. 

"Nothing's wrong. Why?" Harper tried to hide her sadness. Griffin wasn't buying it. 

"Because you're my best friend and I know when you're lying. What's going on, Harp?" Griffin asked gently. 

"You guys can talk about it on the way back." Sam said gently, yet still hurrying the teens along. 

********

A few hours later, they were sitting on Griffin's bed, staring out the window. Harper's eyes were teary and Griffin was in shock, still unsure of what to say. 

"And you're sure that you, Harper Marie Dunn, is capable of injuring another living being? ON PURPOSE?" Griffin asked, shell shocked. Harper shrugged. 

"I guess so." She muttered sadly. 

"The same girl that yelled at me the other day for squishing a roly-poly bug?" Griffin asked confusedly. Harper nodded. "Unbelievable." 

"Well, you find it believable in the future." Harper murmured, a tear falling from her face. Griffin sighed and placed a protective hand on her back. He began more gently this time. 

"Harper, we'll find a way to fix this before its too late." Griffin promised. 

"How do you know!?" Harper cried. 

"Because, you're my best friend, Harp, and I love you. I'd- we'd never let anything come between us. Because you're the locker ninja to my guitar god, my peanut butter to my jelly, my seahorse." Harper looked at him in shock because of the seahorse comment. He smirked. "Yeah, Sav may or may not have told me all about that conversation between the two of you ladies." 

"That's unbelievable!" Harper stuttered out. 

"Oh, you better believe it." Griffin chuckled. "I like you too, by the way. More than a friend." 

Harper smiled. 

"Really?" Harper asked hopefully. 

"Would I lie to you?" Griffin asked. Harper shook her head and leaned in, Griffin doing the same. They locked lips. 

As Sam watched from the door, he knew that they had changed the future and everything would be fine.