Too Many Kinds of Pain

TRIGGER WARNING: SELF HARM AND BULLYING 

in this oneshot, Griffin and Harper are 16 years old. they are best friends, but in the last few months, Harper's gained a lot of fame and popularity around the school after starring in the school musical. she slowly started to drift away from Griffin, and he says its fine, but deep down, he's having some issues of his own. 

"I'm sorry, can we maybe rain check tonight, Griff? I'm hanging with the girls." Harper asked. This was the third time this week that she'd blown him off. Griffin smiled lightly. 

"Yeah, its fine. Have fun, Harp." Griffin said, fake smile etched into his features. 

"Thanks! Maybe tomorrow?" Harper asked. Griffin nodded. 

"Sure." He replied, knowing that it would end in yet another day of disappointment. Harper waved and skipped off with the girls, leaving Griffin to walk home by himself. 

"Yo, Campbell." A voice was heard. And not a particularly nice one. Griffin sighed. 

"Dammit." He muttered. 

"Griffin Campbell, I'm talking to you, man!" The voice yelled, running after the boy. Griffin gulped and turned around, facing the boy. 

"What do you want, Brody?" Griffin asked angrily. 

"That wasn't a very nice tone of voice, bro, I thought you were the golden child? So, I see Harper doesn't wanna hang out with you, yet again. Sucks to suck, doesn't it." The mean boy teased. Griffin sighed. 

"Leave me alone." Griffin muttered and turned around, attempting to walk away. 

"What'd you say, I can't hear you, loser!" Brody laughed. With that, he grabbed Griffin by the shoulder and harshly turned him around, punching him in the nose before shoving him to the ground. Griffin felt tears sting his eyes as Brody laughed and sashayed away. 

He reached his hand up to his nose and wiped the blood away. It was streaming down his lips now. He picked himself up and put his hood over his head, finishing the walk back to the Tremont, tears streaming down his face. 

********

THE NEXT DAY....

"Hey, Griff!" Harper exclaimed, sitting down with Griffin at lunch. 

"You're sitting here today?" Griffin asked, semi surprised. 

"If that's okay with you?" Harper asked. Griffin's features immediately brightened and he nodded enthusiastically. She sat down and as soon as she opened her mouth to speak, Bailey came bounding over. 

"Harp, you're missing the tea! Get over here!" She giggled. Harper smiled. 

"Be right there!" She exclaimed. Griffin's face fell. "Oh, I'm so sorry, Griff. Wanna go see the new horror movie that comes out tonight?" 

"Sure, Harper." Griffin said, trying his hardest to look happy. Harper smiled and nodded before skipping over to her other table with Bailey. 

"How's your face?" Brody mocked in a high pitched voice as he strutted past his table. Griffin sighed and put his lunch away, suddenly losing his appetite. He put his hood on and laid his head down on the table with a big sigh. 

**********

AFTER SCHOOL....

"Hey, Griff, my mom texted me and said I have to get some housework done today, so I won't be able to go to the movies. Rain check?" Harper asked for the fourth time that week. Griffin nodded.