Saved

TRIGGER WARNING: major character death

Harper couldn't believe it. When she got the call from Sarah she just couldn't take it. 

Griffin was in a car accident. And he was dying. 

The doctors said there was no saving him. They said that they'd done all they could. He was losing life fast, and there was no avoidance. 

Jess and Harper sped all the way to the hospital. They ran up to the second floor, not even bothering to take the elevator. They then saw Ben outside a hospital room with head in hands, and the twins crying next to him. 

"I am so so sorry. Are you alright Ben?" Jess asked. After all, Ben was the one driving the car. 

"What happened?" Harper asked, voice breaking. 

Ben looked up, tears in eyes. 

"Griffin and I had went to go get groceries. We were on our way back when this hauling truck comes flying down the wrong lane. I tried to swerve but I wasn't quick enough. Griffin's side got hit hard. My son...." Ben cried. 

Then Sarah walked out of the room with the doctor. 

"Harper you can go see him if you want. Just, be prepared. He's in a lot of pain and we just told him that he's not gonna make it. He's pretty upset." Sarah told her. 

Harper nodded, wiping the tears in her eyes. She didn't want to scare him more. She walked into the room. 

There he was, her best friend, laying on a hospital bed, eyes puffy and red from crying, he was bruised everywhere, and there were IV's on every part of his body. 

"Griffin...." Harper said, voice breaking. 

"H-h-harper." Griffin breathed out. His voice was hoarse and broken and he seemed to have trouble breathing when speaking. 

"Hey Griff. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Are you okay? Mentally, I mean. I mean, physically is obviously a no." She muttered this last part. 

All Griffin could do was shake his head slightly before beginning to cry. This was almost enough to make Harper cry too. 

"I'm dying Harper. There's no stopping it." He said, voice a whisper. 

"I know Griff. You look like you could use a hug." Harper realized as he was now silently sobbing, having trouble breathing while doing so. He looked up at her. She gave him the most gentle and soft hug ever, keeping in mind that he was hurt. She held him close to her and avoided the IV's and his scrapes and bruises. Harper released and Griffin felt safer. 

The monitor showed Griffin's heart rate starting to slow. Harper looked at it scaredly, realizing that he didn't have much time left. 

"Harper, I love you. I have since the day I met you. You were there for me when I was the new kid, you were always right there with me on another adventure no matter what it was. I love you. That night on the porch, I didn't pull away because I didn't love you. I pulled away because I was nervous. I didn't want to admit my feelings, I was scared of getting rejected. But I love you and I'm always with you." Griffin choked out, he could feel his breathing getting slower and his heart rate dying down. 

"I love you too Griffin." That's all she could say. She then connected their lips. Griffin smiled into the kiss. When they disconnected their lips. Griffin hugged her tightly. It hurt like hell but he didn't care. 

Then, the world went dark for Griffin Campbell. 

......................

It had been a year. A horrible year for Harper. Today was the one year anniversary for Griffin's death. She was depressed. She didn't care about the world anymore. 

Everyday she would visit his grave, she would stay there for hours just crying. She rarely went to school and if she did she just sat there. 

A shitty year, that's what it had been. She wanted her best friend back. All that replayed in her mind was the kiss at the hospital. She missed him so much! She needed him. So she came up with a plan. It was stupid and reckless and she could end up getting herself killed. But she had to try. She had to save Griffin. She would save herself by doing so. 

..........

Later that day, Harper was in the bunker in the basement of the Tremont. She set the dial to a year ago and went through the portal. 

It actually is working so far! Harper thought. This might work after all. 

She ran to the Tremont and walked up to Griffin's room. She looked in the room to see him playing the guitar. He was so focused, he didn't notice Harper standing there. Harper was so overjoyed to see him, it took all her power not to run up to him, hug him, and never let go. 

"Hey Griff." Harper said happily. 

"Hey Harp! Come in. I'm just messing around." Griffin said, tuning the guitar. 

Harper ran in a flopped on his bed. 

"It sounded good." Harper made small talk to avoid her squeezing him to death. 

"Thanks." Griffin said. 

Ben appeared in the doorway. 

"Hey Griff. Oh, hey Harper. Sorry, I didn't realize you were here. I was wondering if you wanted to come to the grocery store with me Griffin, but if Harper's here you don't have to." Ben explained. 

"I can come if you want some company dad." Griffin offered. 

"But, I wanted to talk to you about something important Griff." Harper saved. 

"Oh, um, okay. Sorry dad, can I raincheck?" Griffin asked. 

"Sure thing bud." Ben said, walking out of the room. 

Harper hid a bright smile. 

"Anyways, what did you want to talk about?" Griffin asked. 

Oops! Harper forgot exactly HOW she had saved him. 

"Umm, I was just wondering about, um-" Harper stuttered. 

Griffin smirked. 

"Harper, I'm your best friend. I know when you're lying. This is one of those times. You know, if you just wanted to hang out, you could've told me." Griffin laughed. 

"Yep, you caught me. What do you wanna do?" Harper asked. 

............

It had worked. Had Harper told Griffin what happened? Not yet. Would she ever? Maybe. She was just happy she had her best friend, now boyfriend back. 

Griffin laid his head in her lap and stared at a TikTok on his phone. Harper played with his hair and scrolled on Instagram. She couldn't be happier. 

"Griffin?" Harper asked. 

"Yeah?" He replied. 

"I love you." Harper said sweetly. 

Griffin smiled. 

"Love you too." Griffin responded. 

She kissed him.