Kidnapped

(based on the Black Phone) 

Harper and Griffin were walking back to the Tremont after a long day of school. Things had been changing a lot in the small town of Sulphur Springs lately. First, it was Finney Blake. His family had just moved from Denver to the tiny town, and no later than a week after, Finney Blake was kidnapped. Next was Bruce Yamada. Harper and Griffin didn't know him personally but he was the best baseball player on the Sulphur Springs middle school team. Then went pinball Vance Hopper, the meanest kid in school. 

The papers were filled with articles about Finney, Bruce, Vance, and the Grabber. Everything anybody read anymore in Sulphur Springs was missing child warnings and information on the Grabber. That's what everyone called the kidnapper. 

As Griffin and Harper walked home, Harper spotted another poster. She read the name. 

Wyatt Campbell

"Oh no!" Harper exclaimed, gasping. Griffin turned his attention towards the poster. 

"No...." Griffin muttered. He fought back tears. Great. No one knew what happened to these kids. And now, his brother was one of these kids. 

He ripped the poster off the fence and practically ran to the Tremont. 

..................

It had been two weeks. There was no more information on Finney Blake, Bruce Yamada, or Vance Hopper. But more importantly, there was no new information about Wyatt either. Sarah and Ben spent every day looking for him, talking to the police. Zoey spent all day locked in her room crying. And Griffin was downright depressed. Harper would go over every day to see if he was okay. She would be his shoulder to cry on his ear to listen, doing everything a best friend would do in a situation like this. 

..................

One week later, Griffin and Harper were walking home from school. As they were walking, a creepy black van with green lettering popped up. 

Abracadabra it read. 

Just then, a man with white face paint and a magicians hat stumbled out, dropping the groceries in his hand. 

"Oh no! Clumsy me." He said, ashamed. 

"Do you need help?" Griffin asked. 

He looked up. 

"Oh sure! Would you mind grabbing me my hat?" The man asked. Griffin shrugged and picked up the hat handing it to the man. 

"Thanks! I'm actually a part time magician! Would you like to see a magic trick?" He asked. 

"No thanks...." Griffin said skeptically the same time Harper exclaimed "Yes!". 

The man nodded with a bright smile as he grabbed something out of the back of his van. 

Griffin looked inside the van to see black balloons. 

Didn't all the stories with the grabber mention black balloons? Oh no.

At that very moment, the man shoved Griffin aside, and grabbed Harper, forcing her into the van before slamming the door and locking it. Griffin ran to the van, the man stopping him and punching him hard. 

"Lights out buddy." He said. Griffin's world went black. 

............

Griffin was only unconscious for a few seconds and when he got up he watched as the van drove away. In the back window, all he saw was Harper sobbing and pounding on the window, screaming for help. 

Tears started streaming down his face as he fell to the pavement below him. He held his head from where the man punched him, feeling a bruise already forming. 

Great, first his brother, now his best friend. 

..............

A few minutes later, as Ben and Sarah were hanging up more posters for info on Wyatt, Ben spotted something. Or, someone? 

"Griff?" Ben asked. Sarah shot him a confused look. When they both saw him they immediately ran over to him. Sarah practically had to drag him off the road. When they finally got him into the grass, Sarah hugged him tight. 

"What happened baby?" Sarah asked. 

"H-h-harper w-was kidnapped b-by t-th-the g-grabber." Griffin cried out. 

Sarah and Ben exchanged a glance. 

"You watched it happen?" Ben asked. Griffin nodded. 

"Honey, do you remember what he looked like? Or what he was driving?" Sarah asked. Griffin nodded. Ben called the police. 

..........

Later that day, Griffin was in the police station answering all the questions about the encounted with the grabber. Afterwards, Ben and Sarah took Griffin to a hospital where he got his head checked out. 

..............

Finally. After 2 long months later, the police found the house that the van belonged to. They went down to search the basement as Griffin paced outside. A few minutes later, someone he DEFINITELY recognized walked out of the house. She was bruised and bloody and tired looking, but there she was, still beautiful as ever. 

Griffin slowly approached her, not sure this could be real. She smiled at him. He then sprinted over to her and hugged her tightly. 

"You're okay!" He cried into her shoulder. 

"I'm okay." She said. 

They released and Griffin knew it was time. 

He kissed her. 

When they broke apart, she smiled at him. He smiled back. 

Wyatt was gone. Those other kids were gone. It was unfortunate, but Harper was back. And the grabber was dead, thanks to Harper. 

And Griffin and her were finally happy.