You Don't have to take the Abuse

*TRIGGER WARNING: ABUSE!!!* 

It was a rainy Friday night and Griffin Campbell and his best friends Harper Dunn and Luke Bloom were all on FaceTime and playing Among us. 

"Bro, I'm pretty sure yellow is following me." Harper said with a chuckle. 

"Run!" Luke exclaimed. 

"I'm trying dude." Harper said, biting her lip in concentration. "Shoot he was an impostor." 

"I got you, Harp." Griffin assured. 

"Thank you, please avenge my death." Harper laughed. Griffin called a meeting. Yellow got ejected. 

"And you are avenged." Luke chuckled. The game ended. They joked and laughed together until a door slam was heard along with a huge crash downstairs. 

"What was that?" Luke questioned. Griffin looked nervously towards his door. 

"Just my dad." Griffin muttered. 

"Sounds more like a rhino. He drunk again?" Luke asked. 

"Probably." Griffin responded with a sigh. It had been a rough few months for Griffin Campbell. His parents had divorced and Sarah had moved back to Chicago with the twins. Meanwhile, Griffin was stuck at the Tremont with his now lousy, drunken dad. 

"Are you gonna be okay? We can come pick you up if you need." Harper offered, worried. She hated when Ben was drunk. He treated his own son like shit. He would yell at him for nothing, scream in his face, and when he was really drunk, he sometimes hit him. 

Harper and Luke both remembered the first time it had happened. 

************

It had been a week since his mom and siblings moved out and Griffin and Luke were watching Stranger Things on a rainy Friday evening. They laughed and ate snacks until suddenly, Griffin's bedroom door flew open to reveal an angry Ben Campbell. 

"Dad? What's wrong?" Griffin asked. Ben tried to speak, but his words were slurred and he almost fell over when he tried to take a step into the room. 

"Mr. Campbell?" Luke asked. Ben ignored Luke and marched straight up to his son. He got right in his face, and Griffin gulped as he could smell the beer and whiskey on his breath. 

"YOU. YOU'RE THE REASON YOUR MOTHER LEFT ME YOU LITTLE PIECE OF SHIT!" Ben screamed in the teen boys face, shoving him onto the floor. Griffin inhaled sharply. Luke watched with horrified, wide eyes from the bed. 

He sadly watched as Ben slapped him, punched him, kicked him for about five minutes straight. He listened as Ben yelled and screamed, and Griffin whimpered and cried. Eventually, Ben smacked Griffin's head against the bed frame and stomped out of the room, slamming the door behind him. 

Griffin, now sobbing, had his eyes shut tightly, and his head leaned back against the bed frame. Luke quickly got off the bed and knelt down beside him. 

"Griff? Has he ever done that before?" Luke asked nervously. Griffin shook his head as he cried harder. Luke was not sure what to do now. Griffin's head was bleeding, not badly but it was, and bruises were already forming on his face and arms. He was sobbing uncontrollably and comfort was not really his forte. So he did the next best thing. 

"I'm calling Harper, dude." Luke stated. 

"No!" Griffin cried as Luke pulled out his phone. 

"Why not, bro?" Luke asked calmly. 

"Because I don't want her to see me like this." Griffin cried. 

"She'll understand, dude. Right now, you need her, not me." Luke said. Griffin reluctantly nodded and Luke called her.