Torn Apart (collab with MadisonGrace18) pt1

Griffin Campbell was exhausted. He was the golden child, the star student, definitely not the type of guy to be falling asleep in class. 

But that is exactly what happened on this day. He had passed out in math class, his head down on his desk, peacefully sleeping atop his organized binder. It didn't help that the harsh rain pattering on the window put him at ease. 

Mr. Hill blabbed on and on about equations and geometry until the class phone rang. The class, minus Griffin who was sleeping like a rock, took a sigh of relief that the teacher was finally interrupted. 

Mr. Hill nodded along on the phone and had a solemn, kind of scared look on his face. He was murmuring responses such as "mhm", "of course", and "absolutely". He thanked the mystery called and hung up the phone turning to the class. 

"Class, I have some unnerving news." He began. Before he could continue, the loudest blast of thunder that anyone in Sulphur Springs had ever heard rang out. Griffin jumped awake from his sleep, wide eyed. 

"What the hell?" He muttered sleepily. 

"Dude, you've been out for almost the whole class." Preston said. 

"I was up late last night practicing the guitar for my gig on Friday." Griffin explained. Another blast of thunder. It was so loud, some students covered their ears in fear and shock. Griffin gasped. "Harper." 

"What about Harper?" Preston asked, confused as to why his friend was so worried. I mean, sure, Griffin cared about Harper, like a lot, but he'd never tell her how he felt. He didn't wanna get rejected. They were best friends, nothing more, as Griffin always claimed. But he wished they were more. 

Griffin wished he could be with Harper for the rest of his life. He wanted to take her on dates to the springs, watch movies and cuddle together, cook and bake together. She was perfect in Griffin's eyes. The most beautiful girl he'd ever seen, she was cool, and almost as sarcastic as him, she was artistic, smart, and of course the locker ninja to Griffin's guitar god. She was there for him at school when no one else was. 

He knew he was in love with her when they went through the portal together, when they became best friends. He would do anything for Harper, and vice versa. But he could NEVER admit his feelings to Harper. 

"Harper's terrified of storms. One night, she slept over, and there was a usual Louisiana thunderstorm and Harper had a panic attack. Its the noise the thunder makes and the flash of the lightning that really scares her. She's probably scared out of her mind right now." Griffin explained. 

A flash of lightning hit really close to the school, just right across the street. 

"I'll cover for you if you wanna go find her." Preston offered. 

"Thanks, dude, you're a great friend. But I got this." Griffin reassured. He raised his hand. Mr. Hill looked over and adjusted his spectacles. 

"Griffin?" Mr. Hill asked. 

"May I use the restroom?" Griffin asked. 

"I actually have an announcement first." Mr. Hill tried. 

"I really have to go, Mr. Hill, please?" Griffin lied. The teacher sighed and shooed him off before addressing the rest of the class. "Come right back, Griffin!" 

Griffin would not be coming right back, and because he hadn't heard the teacher's announcement, he didn't truly realize how important coming right back would've been. He wandered down the hallways and didn't stop until he reached Mrs. Ballard's world history honors class. He rapped on the door. 

"Griffin Campbell, what are you doing in the hallways at this time?" Mrs. Ballard asked, worried about the young boy. 

Harper heard Griffin's name and her head lifted away from the wall, tears still streaming from her eyes. Although Harper was afraid of storms, quite a few of her classmates were crying as well.